T6 kombi, Safety for rear passengers

I have been trying to find info on this, the caravelle has side airbags for the rear passengers but the shuttle and kombis do not. I was wondering can rear side airbags be retro fitted to a shuttle? Anyone know?

I personally would entertain the idea of retro fitting airbags, huge cost & lots of agro.

The difference in price of a LwB 204 shuttle to caravelle is circa £8-£10k though. How much would airbags cost to retro fit?

Biggest issue I guess would be seat and seatbelt strength and anchoring.
If it's a factory Kombi then you should have nothing to worry about.

But panel vans modified into Kombi's, or campers with RnR beds, need to make sure the seats and the seatbelts are properly anchored and pull tested - not just attached to the ply floor with a few 5x50 self tappers.
don't you mean 2inch tens chopman lol

Just discovered these pic from a sales advert, hope they driver still has legs! Make me Wonder why the T6 is not euroncap tested!?
IMG_6312.jpg
IMG_6310.jpg
IMG_6311.jpg

That looks like a lorry hit it.. Impressed that the steering wheel isn't in the back of the seat!

With an Arctic in front... Saw a car once that had been hit behind by an Arctic, and squashed into the back of the one in front.. Nobody got out of that one unfortunately..

Those pics do not look good. I can't see the occupants coming out of that well. I did read somewhere that the engine in a T5/6 is designed to break away and go under the cab area in a frontal collision, though obviously not in this case. I have to say I am seriously concerned about the lack of safety features available in the T6, particularly for rear passengers in a Kombi. I , like many of us, have had the sliding door ply off to insulate etc, and was surprised by the lack of any substantial metal work in there. What is in there, I wouldn't describe as SIPS.

Piss poor in my opinion... not even euro ncap tested. Probably because its same structure as T5 or older. Even the small caddy Max gets better points in the crash test....

Regret not going for the new Mercedes V class. 5 star, top of tops....

Ok look at the pics carefully, granted that it is severe etc, but that is a HUGE impact, by BOTH vehicles at speed probably, and the drivers road wheel is intact, and in the correct position, this looks like a hit by a hgv.. You get a corner to corner hit by one of those at 60mph you will have a problem in any vehicle.. A car and it could of been sitting UNDER the hgv cab!

Look at the pic showing the drivers door, it hasn't come back past the slider, and roof and door gap on slider look pretty damn good.. The damage has stopped at the A pillar area, it's probably moved it, but it's all in all done pretty well.. The dash, steering wheel and seat are in one piece, so driver wasn't cut out.. Was anyone in it? No blood evident.. this accident was more than then Ncap test stuff! and would of been a bad day for anyone in any car! There is a pic of someone's t5 on the forum somewhere showing a corner to corner with a car..

Last edited:
Ok, so this is what is known as an oblique head-on. The complete distortion of the passenger cell, including a-post and door tells me this was not hit by a car. Without a doubt it was something of similar height or bigger so agree on the lorry or van perspective. As to euro n-cap testing, and having seen more smashed cars and the people who have not walked out of them (or done anything in life ever again), if you are hit by a lorry it is highly unlikely you will come out of it well, euro n-cap of 6 or not. I have seen cars that have been physically opened up and peeled apart after impacts with lorry's, so even though it is a colossal impact, and the kinematics of such would have been horrific, the van has actually stood up.
As to whether anyone was in the van at the time, in my professional opinion, it was empty.
What tells me this is:-
we do not leave body's in vehicles when they go to the recovery yard. Even if a fatality was involved, the body would still have to be cut of the interior, it doesn't just slide out because it's dead. To do this the same hydraulic tools are used as you'll all have seen on programs and other media. These make big cuts and spreads. If a person or body had been taken out of the drivers door then the door would not have shut afterwards. Due to the level of damage if I was faced with the extrication plan for the occupants I would go in through the passenger side, but this would involve spreading/ jacking/ winching the dash back out of the vehicle for "space creation", again, the interior would not look like this. The final thing that tells me that no one was in the front of this vehicle is the lack of body fluids.
Therefore this was either a staged crash where it was deliberately hit for testing or other purposes, or the vehicle was parked when mullered.

Airbag deployment without ignition on depends entirely upon manufacturer and model. Some vehicles have capacitors linked to airbags that keep them powered for up to 30minutes after battery has been isolated.

@DaveyB , I can see the point of airbags going off anyway, in case you are parked, keys out talking when hit... :thumbsup: Nice summation by the way :thumbsup:
Seen too many. And if anyone is in the Cardif area today a UKRO event is being held at;

All Wales Extrication Challenge 2017
Saturday 22nd - All Day
All Wales Fire & Rescue Service Extrication Challenge to be held at
Cardiff Gate Training & Development Centre
Church Road
Old St Mellons
CF3 6YA

The UKRO is the UK Rescue Organisation, and involves teams from around the country competing at extricating people from cars. It is highly technical and the teams are marked over a number of criteria. It's a really good day, and when I have competed in it before the public have been able to watch.

@DaveyB , have you had a gander at the highlift first responder jack? Good system, like the base and the chains for use with cribbing etc it's on my Landy / general usage list (6ft version), but it can cause an unwary op injury as well from the handle..

Interesting bit of kit. We have a large range of Lithium Ion battery powered kit now that do the exact same job and look the same as the normal hydraulic rescue tools, but are so quick to get to work, and there is absolutely no manual repetitive task with them. And give the exact lifting and cutting forces as the hydraulic kit that runs at over 700bar.
This lifting jack is a similar concept to Paratech kit that we use for lots of different scenarios.

Back