T6 High Roof Walk-on Query

Hi all,

Can't seem to find any videos or answers anywhere on the Internet for this...

I have recently purchased a T6 high roof camper and I'd like to be able to walk on the top of the roof. As far as supporting the roof structure to be able to hold the weight of essentially 2 people with deck chairs is there any useful ways anyone has done it? I have only seen a quick 3 second video of someone supporting in between the existing roof supports with what I can only assume is steel rods bent to the curvature of the roof...

Anything purchase ready to install directly? Luckily my old man's a retired welder so if any welding needs doing I should be OK!

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Can't seem to find any videos or answers anywhere on the Internet for this...

I have recently purchased a T6 high roof camper and I'd like to be able to walk on the top of the roof. As far as supporting the roof structure to be able to hold the weight of essentially 2 people with deck chairs is there any useful ways anyone has done it? I have only seen a quick 3 second video of someone supporting in between the existing roof supports with what I can only assume is steel rods bent to the curvature of the roof...

Anything purchase ready to install directly? Luckily my old man's a retired welder so if any welding needs doing I should be OK!

Thanks in advance.
I’m not sure there’s that many high top vans out there for people to answer your question I’m afraid. Be a good view from up there though!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

@rod_vw may have an opinion, he has converted more than one high top.

I certainly would not walk on my hightop, it isn't designed to take it as the fibreglass is far too thin. If it were made to take that sort of punishment it would put far too much weight up high and consequent stability problems. The pressure from chair legs would soon crack the shell.

The factory high roof is a form of plastic and strengthened with bows of a similar material. It is certainly not capable of supporting the load of two persons especially with the point load of the 'legs' of deck chairs!
I've tried to find the official roof load capacity but can't at this time. Persistent Googling would doubtless come up with a figure.
After market high roofs are normally much less substantial so even less capable of supporting a load.

From what I remember the Hightop roof tapers in so the flat area is pretty limited and as others have pointed out it’s not steel.
Even with the latest ambulance delays it sounds like a fairly fast route to A&E.

Thanks guys, much appreciated for the replies. Agreed. I think a roof rack is the furthest I'm going to get to standing on the roof!

Back