T6 Buying Advice For New To Vw

foll19

VIP Member
Hi

I'm upgrading our 2 seater Nissan van for a VW Transporter and really want a T6. I need a kombi (and want a LWB) for imminent first child. Budget isn't massive and i'm therefore looking at converting a panel van. We'd like air-con too for summer travels with the little one in Europe.

I've read loads on here and other places so thanks for all the contributions so far. Seems getting a 'decent' base is the general advice.

I don't mind starting out with a Startline van that had factory optional aircon. Everything else i figure i can add if and when we have the budget. Needs to be functional, not finished for now so probably just isofix T6 rear seats + window fitting / carpeting for around £2000 all in (im hoping).

I've seen a number of T6 84bhp Startline vans with aircon for sale with Van Monster. They are mint green and having spoken with them were old fleet vehicles for an auto parts company called FPS. Looking at a late 2017 (67) with 40k miles for £13k+vat (£15.6k with vat and £17.5k ish with windows / seats). I know the colour will be like marmite on the forum but i actually quite like it.

I have read the threads on here regards remapping and whilst i don't need ultimate performance, thinking something up to 140bhp seems safe enough to do and likely drive way better (another £400 ish with Pendle?)

Any thoughts on this much appreciated......Experiences of Van Monster, this base van, THAT mint green (!), conversion plans etc etc.

Thanks in advance!

I personally wouldn’t bother touching anything without LED Headlights.
I’ve got H4’s, kick myself every time I drive in the dark for not getting them.

Should i assume this has H4 lights? Guessing so given the startline spec. Can they be upgraded? im sure theres a thread on here.....i'll look into it! This list is mounting ;-)

The OP said he had a 2k budget. £18 for some Osram Nightbreakers will sort that problem out.

You WILL only end up changing the front end, and lights, but that's up to you against cost, time etc. Im on that journey at the mo but if you are looking try to get a trendline/sportline/highline to save you the effort later. H7 lights as a min.
From a starline -
Replacement bumpers circa £1200 with painting, self fitted.
Lights around £550.
Then there's wheels.... The list gets longer each time you log on here! :D
Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Volkswagen Transporter Approved Used & Pre Owned Cars For Sale in UK | JCT600

Thanks folks for all the replies. Actually just agreed to buy a late T5 highline panel that we'll convert. Seemed a good fit all things considered and no Ad Blue issues to worry about! Should pick it up in a week or 2. Might be back on for advice as can't find as useful a forum for T5's and there's loads relevant for both on here.
Cheers!

Back