T6.1 missing tow-bar preparation: a problem?

jjg23

Hey, i've found a new T6.1 which is already in the UK but lacking tow bar preparation from factory sadly. I need a tow bar!
What does it cost to get the tow bar preparation done locally here in UK? Would you recommend it's done by VW due to warranty being brand new?
thanks!
J

Towbar prep just saves you running the cables from back to front and fitting the towing module. A proper vehicle specific dedicated towbar wiring harness will function exactly the same, it’ll just be a bit more hassle to fit and need coding.

Towbar prep just saves you running the cables from back to front and fitting the towing module. A proper vehicle specific dedicated towbar wiring harness will function exactly the same, it’ll just be a bit more hassle to fit and need coding.
Ah thanks, so perhaps it'll add some cost, but not the end of the world.

Not the end of the world at all. It’s not hard to retrofit a tow bar and electrics on one of these.

Not the end of the world at all. It’s not hard to retrofit a tow bar and electrics on one of these.
Ah thanks, I was recommended to have a chat with you guys, funny coincidence. Out of interest, what would the cost be for you guys to fit tow bar? Happy to chat by PM if you prefer. thanks!

I have a similar situation, got a T6.1 Caravelle without tow bar preparation (doh!) . I would have been happy to fit the whole towbar until i found out about the coding that needs doing as most of it is accessible and as long as i buy the VW wiring (7pin) seems like it's just a routing job. Anyway, just curious if the coding job is something that any garage (non VW) will know about or if it's worth going to a towbar fitter to confirm the correct coding is done?

Also, i already have a detachable swanneck on another car, is there any point (or even can you) getting the kit without the detachable swanneck bit? I only have one bike carrier! :D

@BognorMotors do you ever do the 'end bit' for customers, i.e. they fit the towbar, messing around with the bumper etc and spend time routing the wiring then bring it to you to plug in and re-code or would you only consider the whole job? Just curious - thanks for any advice

Back