T6.1 Battery low warning

lambo

Industrial Designer
T6 Pro
Moved the cab a couple of metres this morning, it’s cold about 0. Van has not been used much in the last month but drove 30 miles last weekend.
The ‘battery low, charge by driving’ warning came on. Van only has 650 miles, would one expect this?
it did have a leisure battery fitted but nothing is on, it only has sockets and spots connected anyway. I’ll give it a good run tomorrow. Should I be worried? I am a worrier...

Moved the cab a couple of metres this morning, it’s cold about 0. Van has not been used much in the last month but drove 30 miles last weekend.
The ‘battery low, charge by driving’ warning came on. Van only has 650 miles, would one expect this?
it did have a leisure battery fitted but nothing is on, it only has sockets and spots connected anyway. I’ll give it a good run tomorrow. Should I be worried? I am a worrier...
It sounds like it might just have a low battery from little use, with the LB addition meaning it’s given away a little more than it would normally keep in float.
What DC-DC charger was fitted, out of curiosity?

You could buy and fit a BM2 module to give you some idea as to the rate of discharge.
That’ll save you worrying.

See here:

@lambo I’ve been having battery issues with mine. In past month it’s been to VW twice, all the test they’ve run show the battery and alternator in good condition.

I’ve had a warning message that the battery isn’t charging. The battery has run flat couple times. I’ve also had the same warning as you. I’ve got a leasure with sound system connected so have disconnected to see if any improvement.

86322C19-02BF-48B9-B066-743251060CF1.jpeg

Unfortunately electrics/electronics are not my strong suit . My dilemma is do I take it to the converters or the garage? Now I think about it I have been getting the -auto stop start not available- light a lot. That maybe because the battery is not charging properly? Not sure whether to give it a good run to charge, will I risk breaking down if it doesn’t? Is there a warning light if alternator not working?

If you haven’t used it much then this is normal. If we don’t use our T6 for 4 weeks (it’s a camper) then I fully charge the main battery with a good smart charger.

Pete

My dilemma is do I take it to the converters or the garage?
Before doing that, like Pete says you should give it a charge. If you don’t own a battery charger, you’ll need one - unless this will be your daily driver.

Now I think about it I have been getting the -auto stop start not available- light a lot. That may be because the battery is not charging properly?
That is often an early sign of a discharged battery. My van would show the A symbol with a cross through it at the start of a long journey, but S/S would function by the end of it.

Not sure whether to give it a good run to charge, will I risk breaking down if it doesn’t? Is there a warning light if alternator not working?
You shouldn’t break down, unless your alternator had failed and you were to stall the engine. Giving it a good run will charge the battery, but not as quickly and efficiently as a battery charger would.

Before doing that, like Pete says you should give it a charge. If you don’t own a battery charger, you’ll need one - unless this will be your daily driver.

That is often an early sign of a discharged battery. My van would show the A symbol with a cross through it at the start of a long journey, but S/S would function by the end of it.

You shouldn’t break down, unless your alternator had failed and you were to stall the engine. Giving it a good run will charge the battery, but not as quickly and efficiently as a battery charger would.
thanks for all the good replies as usual. Ok, I have a charger. Dumb question but here goes. Can I charge while in situ? I imagine trying to remove it causes alarm issues etc. Is there a safe protocol for a novice. As a general thing do vans need more battery maintenance than cars?

Yes you can charge in situ.
+ve lead to battery +ve terminal
-ve lead to a bolt or similar close to the battery that is definitely connected to the vehicle metalwork
Follow the instructions that came with the charger if you still have them - what model is it ?

Modern vehicles have so much going on even when locked up, that batteries seem to run down more quickly.

Pete

This is lack of use. it’s come up on my van once, never again - although says not charging. They have intelligent alternators now.

Needs a really good run (1hour+) or a Charge.

Yes you can charge in situ.
+ve lead to battery +ve terminal
-ve lead to a bolt or similar close to the battery that is definitely connected to the vehicle metalwork
Follow the instructions that came with the charger if you still have them - what model is it ?

Modern vehicles have so much going on even when locked up, that batteries seem to run down more quickly.

Pete
Hi Pete, just a Halfords ‘over 1800cc’ charger. Nothing fancy. I’ll give it an hour or so on charge then see if I still get the warning

Will probably need to run it much longer than that - depends what the current rating is.

Pete

If you are going to regularly leave it standing for several weeks, then I would recommend a decent smart charger. One of these will charge the battery properly, and tell you when it is finished.

A Victron IP65 10Amp model is good - it’s what I use.

Pete

If you have a AGM battery make sure the charger is ok with it . A old standard charger can damage it .

Did you catch this lambo? if you have a Transporter, buy a good charger, you will need one ;)
Dies seem odd doesn’t it? I charged it up with my entry level charger (luckily my battery is entry level not Agm!). Went for a drive auto stop start works. Cool. On the way home so in theory more charge - doesn’t work, get the icon with the line through the A when I stop. There may be more to it than that but looks suspicious

Your Halfords charger looks like its 5amp max, so will probably average 2-3 amps.
At that rate your battery will take well over 24 hours to charge from flat. An hour just wont do it ;)
The key thing is to put it on charge it every 2-3 weeks, before it discharges too far - this is quite normal and accepted as 'thats just how it is' :)
Cheers
Phil

Reactions: CAB
As above, until you have fully charged the battery, either with a long drive or a decent smart charger, you won’t know if you have a problem or not.

Pete

If the stop start doesn’t work it could be doing a regen to clean the DPF especially if it’s been sitting about and not doing long runs. I would take it for a run with stop start turned off and don’t use it in the winter when you have a lot running.
it doesn’t sound like you have the correct battery if it’s just a normal wet battery.

Back