T5.1 coil light and fuel issue.

Rich Green

Electrician
T6 Pro
Hey guys! I’m new to this forum so apologise for jumping straight in with a question. I will give you guys as much info as possible as this is driving me crazy!
I have a 2011 T5.1 2.0tdi when I first brought her 6 months ago she ran a dream. Few small issues like a window switch needed replacing etc but nothing big. Then after maybe a month (I use it maybe once a week for about 10miles) I started to get the flashy erratic coil light. Looked in to common causes and replaced the led lights back to standards etc checked brake lights then replaced brake cylinder switch. No joy! I had it plugged in to vagcom but this only showed a low voltage issue but the battery had died the week previous. So all reset and a new battery fitted and no flashy light for a day? Next day coil light returns this time constantly and only between about 1500-2500rpm.
I had a journey down to Devon planned about 200 mile each way so serviced her oil air and fuel filters etc. Did the trip both ways all great but yesterday had a 2min drive to do and flashy coil light on start up this never happened before. Drove down the road and sounded a bit whiny then a bit tappy. I turned the engine off and now it won’t restart I’ve been told it maybe a poor fuel filter (eBay service kit) causing it but it’s only 2 weeks old?? Any suggestions guys would be much appreciated.
I have noticed a very small fuel leak to the front of the van drivers side somewhere near the fuel temp sender thing? Related possibly??

You wonder if the fuel leak is related to your main problem, I'd say get the fuel leak fixed ASAP, that way you'll find out.
By doing this you're only fixing a problem that needs fixing anyway, a problem that isn't going to go away unless you get it fixed. That leak might be a safety issue, it's going to make a mess and if fuel can get out, air can probably get in - which might cause your no start scenario.
Keep us updated! :thumbsup:

You wonder if the fuel leak is related to your main problem, I'd say get the fuel leak fixed ASAP, that way you'll find out.
By doing this you're only fixing a problem that needs fixing anyway, a problem that isn't going to go away unless you get it fixed. That leak might be a safety issue, it's going to make a mess and if fuel can get out, air can probably get in - which might cause your no start scenario.
Thanks Dave! Makes sense Will be one issue out the then. Do you guys have anyone you would recommend for undertaking these works?

Back