T32. What are the main differences?

Bronco

VIP Member
T6 Pro
As above, my 66 seems to have big brakes, stiffish suspension and when looking for parts seems like an outcast as lots of things aren’t for the T32 specifically??
What else is different about them?
Regards David

Mine's a T32 as well,so looking forward to the answers on this one as we only got it a month ago.Also 66 plate.

Other than the obvious issues us T32 owners have with tyre and wheel rating, its mainly the load capacity. The higher the number, the more weight you can carry.
Bare in mind that predominantly a VW Transporter is a commercial vehicle and is not really designed with the sort of modifications we do at the forefront of the designers minds. They are to get people and their kit or loads around the world in relative comfort and safety, but then people like me get hold of them, rip up the VW handbook and ruin what was a great commercial vehicle.

T32=3200kgs
T30=3000kgs
T28=2800kgs
T26=2600kgs

Hence why its important to consider what you need a Transporter for and guesstimate what your maximum weight will be for your chosen path and choose accordingly.

Thanks for that. So are we just talking suspension changes ? Why do people talk about the vehicle being heavier?

As above, my 66 seems to have big brakes, stiffish suspension and when looking for parts seems like an outcast as lots of things aren’t for the T32 specifically??
What else is different about them?
Regards David

Hi @Bronco ... T32 ...yes your correct bigger brakes....thicker ARB...stronger springs ...bigger loads....but if you spec a T30 to a T32 the price difference is about ( or was ) £600 ....some members pay silly money for bigger brakes ..Your T32 has free big brakes
edit T32 weight difference are as example
2D6F4C9D-704C-42F9-8AB2-846585726621.png
as with any vehicle it’s the style or model ..panel to kombi that are bigger differences but like for like minimal weight changes

Last edited:
Hi @Bronco ... T32 ...yes your correct bigger brakes....thicker ARB...stronger springs ...bigger loads....but if you spec a T30 to a T32 the price difference is about ( or was ) £600 ....some members pay silly money for bigger brakes ..T32 are free
edit T32 weight difference are as example
View attachment 87156
as with any vehicle it’s the style or model ..panel to kombi that are bigger differences but like for like minimal weight changes
Covered this several times.

A t32 does not mean you get bigger brakes, my 150hp t32 had standard size as do many many others.

You also need a special mot station for a T32.... a class 7 testing station... there's a good few about though...

Covered this several times.

A t32 does not mean you get bigger brakes, my 150hp t32 had standard size as do many many others.
Ok Yes ...Stand corrected the bigger Engines in the T32 range normally get bigger brakes ...His first post had already stated that he had them ...so the reply was towards his T32 not necessarily all T32’s

I think you will find the front suspension strut is a stronger design at the bottom so suspension upgrade kits are different .

A T32 Kombi in most spec's will still have a 1000kg payload so you can claim the VAT back if it's a company vehicle, but if you don't need too stay away as the suspension and ride is awful.

I was curious what the Caravelle would be based on so I've just checked my paperwork... no mention of T30/32 etc but the V5 has a listed max weight of 3080Kg so looking at @Tourershine's table above, that makes it a T30?

I can barely see my brakes through the wheels but they are strong!! I've been well impressed by the power of them so far.

Our T32 204 has the humungous big brakes - as befits the awesome, mind warping power of the mighty 204. I had what I think was a 150 as a loan a while back. It had tiny, miniscule brakes. Which (as far as I was concerned) had much more bite than ours.

You can only put a t32 thorugh your books / claim vat back if its a t32... Note you can't technically claim the vat back on a t32 4motion t6.. The t6.1 has had the weight tweaked to now make the 4motion t32 a business option.

A T32 Kombi in most spec's will still have a 1000kg payload so you can claim the VAT back if it's a company vehicle, but if you don't need too stay away as the suspension and ride is awful.
Shit, ride is awful? Guess who has just bought a T32 for camper conversion today

Shit, ride is awful? Guess who has just bought a T32 for camper conversion today
It’s fine, I have a T32 camper conversion with all standard running gear and when it’s fully loaded up it’s better.
You might have guessed that I haven’t been sucked into the how low can you go on the biggest diameter wheels $$$$ market yet.

I was going to mention that too, not all T32's come with bigger brakes. Only the 199/204 models get them automatically, they can be specced on the lower hp models though.

My 150 T32 had the big brakes as std - they were not separately spec'd.

Back