T28 vsT30

Z Beeswax

Hi all, we are new to the forum but have happily been scrolling through while we prepare to purchase our new van. Our biggest stumbling black at the moment is whether we need a T30, or would a T28 do. We are planning a basic conversion (bed and cupboard) with camping stove for cooking. No gas, leccy etc. But we are planning to have a hightop fitted. Two of us, plus one Lab....Will a T28 be OK? A kombi T30 is hard to find and prices rocket. We can afford a higher spec panel van and have windows installed (that are less likely to leak) but most panels are T28. T30s are mostly LWB. Argh it's a minefield! Just looking for your thoughts. Please be kind

I would go for the LWB. It still goes in regular parking spaces, and makes a real difference to the amount of useable room.

Go for the panel van and install the windows, that way you can have some that don’t leak.

Get the T30 so you don’t have to worry about being overweight.

Chances are whatever you buy you’ll change the suspension to improve the ride and I believe you can have the t28 up plated to a t30 (there’s a thread on here somewhere about it) so I wouldn’t discount t28s

Chances are whatever you buy you’ll change the suspension to improve the ride and I believe you can have the t28 up plated to a t30 (there’s a thread on here somewhere about it) so I wouldn’t discount t28s
Change the springs. Get it up plated to T32, easy. I did it to my T28 van which I won, as I was sure I was very close/over weight with the kids and bikes etc loaded.

Just need to make sure wheels and tyres are rated.

We have a fully converted t28 and with 2 teenagers, 4 bikes, 2 awnings, clothes, beer and food (plus me and the wife) I was a little worried we were over weight so got it up plated to a t30 (I’m not sure why I didn’t go for t32 as wheels and tyres are rated). Really easy and less than £300 so if you are worried about weight it really depends how much you need to pay up front for a t32 base van (or if this limits the options) otherwise get a t28 and see what the weight is like after conversion.

Back