SWB Kombi ideas for Bed & MTB’s

Taylorm

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I’ve been searching for a while now and haven’t seen anyone that’s created a swb kombi bed solution which still allows you to carry a few bikes and keep the back seats in.

My bikes are mounted on a fork mount and I’m wondering if it’s possible to build a tall bed system that is collapsible and can be removed easily. Possibly out of wood maybe.

I know stitches and steel have a suspended bed system, but I think that has to be lowered when sleeping on.

Keen to hear if anyone else has attempted this?

F74C1DC2-1F96-4182-9C5A-485E6A152704.jpeg

I have spent a while looking at the options here. The problem with a bed system that goes over the bikes is that it would have to be pretty tall, so that wouldn't leave you with much head room and is likely to be inherently more unstable the taller it is, especially from wood.

I started with a rack system similar to yours.
IMG_4161.jpeg
Great for carrying the bikes and keeping them away from prying eyes but not overly space efficient and even with the bikes all the way over to the left, and as close to the tail as possible, i just couldn't find a way for 2 to sleep in there with 2 bikes as well. 1 bike is doable, but not 2 i dont think

@Village yeah I was thinking it would be quite flimsy. It would only be for 2 nights stay max so doesn’t have to have much space.

I’ll keep thinking as I quite like the bikes stored on the mount so I don’t want to have to get rid of that.

I’ve been searching for a while now and haven’t seen anyone that’s created a swb kombi bed solution which still allows you to carry a few bikes and keep the back seats in.

My bikes are mounted on a fork mount and I’m wondering if it’s possible to build a tall bed system that is collapsible and can be removed easily. Possibly out of wood maybe.

I know stitches and steel have a suspended bed system, but I think that has to be lowered when sleeping on.

Keen to hear if anyone else has attempted this?

View attachment 93640

I’ve have a fully converted van but I slept in my bare Kombi quite a bit before converting.
I pondered having a tensioned canvas platform suspended between the B & D pillars using a high quality non stretchable ’canvas’ sheet and non stretching tensioning system. When not in use it could be folded up.
There would probably be some hammock effect so probably more suited to one instead of two people.

@DXX I like that idea!

Hooped lashing points on the pillars and tie through them and down to the floor lashing points to get the tension.

I’ll do some digging for appropriate canvas material :thumbsup:

@DXX I like that idea!

Hooped lashing points on the pillars and tie through them and down to the floor lashing points to get the tension.

I’ll do some digging for appropriate canvas material :thumbsup:
Try a sailmaker if you want a strong quality job. Just be careful not to distort the pillars with ratchet straps, I would think the pillars would need some reinforcing doubler plates on the inside of the pillar to spread the load.

Something like this is very simple, length ways, maybe couple scaffold tubes. I wouldn't have as much sag as that. It would easily store away with a folding mattress.

1606832105399.png

Back