Super glue??

Gazdeth

Hi all, do us a favor and dig me out of having to resort to the body shop..
Removing my transporter logo, nice Matte Black new logo on the shiny grab handle..
Looks like some hole arse has superglued the old transporter letters on. Lettering all snapped off under duress but has left a very hard cement type glue substance behind that you can't get your nails under or anything. Any ideas on softening it without burgering up the paintwork before I probably have to ring the paint man?

IMG_20220406_182900.jpg

I suspect that any substance that will break down the glue will trash your paintwork as well….like super glue debonder from tool station

I would have thought that it would have etched into the clearcoat. When you do get the glue off, it might need a light wet sanding and polishing.

I would have thought that it would have etched into the clearcoat. When you do get the glue off, it might need a light wet sanding and polishing.
Good point!

I suspect that any substance that will break down the glue will trash your paintwork as well….like super glue debonder from tool station
Pretty much guessed that. Fingers crossed. And thanks!

I used this to remove my badges. good luck.

Gtechniq W7 Tar and Glue Remover 500ml - Full Strength Solvent Based Formula, Softens and Dissolves Tar, Glue, Residue - Safe to Use with Waxes, Coatings, Sealants, Quick and Easy To Apply https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Q4ZU...i_i_K9ZR3X9VS6Q1YWTHMAYK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Might have to give this a try. Many thanks!!

oh jeez . . . .

you could try SugerGlue De-Bonder - Release agent.

View attachment 152009
Cheers. Anything worth a shot over a spray. Who does this? What sadistic..

I'm no expert but have used acetone in the past when I spilt some on vinyl plank flooring. Just went at it gently with a cotton bud dipping it in the acetone and rubbing and repeating when it gets tacky it didn't damage the flooring at all.
Not sure about paint tho.

Just found this on the net..
Apparently don't let it dry.

The bad news is that nail polish removers containing acetone still can damage car paint if they drip on it long enough to dry. If you wipe off the excess quickly, you may not have any problems

Bit of an update..
Tried the Internet hand cream and fairy liquid. Negligible.
Tried the everbuild debonder. Negligable
Managed to break a it off and soak it in acetone. Dint even touch it.
The hell is this stuff?
Dabbing with boiling water on a soft cloth seemed like it was helping but will take a week at this rate.
Steam gun? Anyone ever tried that?
This stuff is so hard am getting vibrations may help but unsure how to cause safe vibrations.. Any more words of wisdom be much appreciated.

I’ve used a flat razor blade to cut off the excess before. You’ll have to be really careful, but it’ll reduce the amount to buff off.

At least you’ll still have the option to put a Transporter badge over the top when you’ve finished :rolleyes:

At least you’ll still have the option to put a Transporter badge over the top when you’ve finished :rolleyes:

OK... So I did what I swore I wouldn't do..
Dremmel multitool with a cotton soft disc.. Its only bloody melted it off mostly.
Having a bash at the residual with some autoglym resin polish. Pics to follow. Later...jeez it's cold out..

OK... So I did what I swore I wouldn't do..
Dremmel multitool with a cotton soft disc.. Its only bloody melted it off mostly.
Having a bash at the residual with some autoglym resin polish. Pics to follow. Later...jeez it's cold out..
Just bear in mind that any abrasive that you use on a clothe will overlap the glue and also erode the painted surface too. It’ll be nigh impossible to just polish out the glue only, unless you’ve done a brill job with the dremel - I hope so
If not, you’ll end up with a shiny ‘shadow’ between the raised glue edge and the paintwork - if that makes sense!

After seeing those close-ups, I wonder if it could be a glue gun? We use it to make museum displays sometimes. Never had to remove it but this site suggests Isopropyl alcohol, as does one of the posters above.

Just bear in mind that any abrasive that you use on a clothe will overlap the glue and also erode the painted surface too. It’ll be nigh impossible to just polish out the glue only, unless you’ve done a brill job with the dremel - I hope so
If not, you’ll end up with a shiny ‘shadow’ between the raised glue edge and the paintwork - if that makes sense!
I've got it all off now. There were chunks of paint missing under the glue and yes as you rightly pointed out I got a bit carried away with the Dremmel. I suppose the only saving grace is that it would have needed the paint shop anyway.
If I ever find who glued these on..
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

IMG_20220409_155859.jpg

IMG_20220409_155904.jpg

Back