Subframe Alignment

Van Buddy

204 Kombi 4motion 2017MY
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi
Is there a set procedure for aligning the front subframe after removal if alignment bolts have moved ?
I was thinking of measuring the wheel base, 3000mm, and setting offset/inset equal each side to the rears.
Thanks

Bit difficult to see up through the bush in the subframe but good idea.
Thanks for the torque settings.

Going back some years, I had a vel T5, which scrubbed a front tyre (from new), it turned out that VW had manufactured/assembled it incorrectly, and the dealer had to send to Germany for some new bolts to resecure the subframe. It was diagnosed via the dealer using his 4 wheel laser alignment. But I'm not sure if he used the laser alignment to put it back together.

I wouldn’t worry to much about the alignment of the subframe, as it will only fit within manufacture spec, But would have a 4 wheel alignment done, as soon as poss.

That is proberbly becouse the wheel alignment was out of tolerance. There is a tolerance between the subframe and the mounting points on the chassis, this is probably no more than 2mm.

I'm struggling to remember....... but I think either the bolts where single-use only; or shear studs. So the dealer had no choice but to get some new ones,......... or maybe even corrective studs. I'm struggling to recall, but I certainly got the feeling I wasn't unique.
I think on the T5 , the subframe was completely different on a Vel compared to a Van, not that it's relevant to this tread.

That is proberbly becouse the wheel alignment was out of tolerance. There is a tolerance between the subframe and the mounting points on the chassis, this is probably no more than 2mm.

The wheel alignment has been checked many times and was spot on every time.
Main dealer has had the vehicle back 6 times and now finally admitted the subframe was mis-aligned from the factory.

They could well be stretch bolts. I dont know for sure.
Thanks for the education; I'd never heard of stretch bolts before; and now after a few googles......., I'm educated as to the risks of re-using them :thumbsup::)

Perhaps the VW dealers laser alignment system is more than just a wheel alignment system, but also a whole-body/suspension laser jig system to deal with accident damage as well???

Perhaps the VW dealers laser alignment system is more than just a wheel alignment system, but also a whole-body/suspension laser jig system to deal with accident damage as well???

Not Heritage Automotive Bristol, they call another company in.

Back