Stopover campsite in France?

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Have booked a campsite in the Dordogne for this coming September, near Monpazier. Am planning on taking two days to get there and two days to get back. Will be using Eurotunnel so I'm looking for a stopover campsite, or campsites, to break the trip up on the way down and back up - one night only each.

We have two dogs which I'm sure will complicate things. Excellent showers are an absolute must.

I'm looking for campsite suggestions please - anyone know some good ones?

Location wise I guess I'm thinking of circa halfway - probably Le Mans - Tours 'ish'.

TIA :thumbsup:

We have friends in Les Ormes (S Tours) so we stop with them, we normally do the overnight Portsmouth-Caen sleep the night, on the road at 7am so can get down south in a day if needs be..

Dominic at Chanteloup is an excellent host, highly recommended. I guess we have used Chantelup 7/8 times since 2006 an excellent stop off. The wife spent 4 weeks out there with the kids one year in the tent! If you consider it you MUST visit this in town:

Nuit des chimères

Any Le Mans questions (race or local) I’m (unusually!) pretty useful on this area. Your navigation will also stuff you in Rouen, it does to everyone. For the 24 hours, I have just begrudgingly paid for the first time ever an actual gated track campsite at £££ rather than the regular municipal ACO sites. Because wife.

Note the September closure, I’ve definitely stayed there in early September, so might be worth a call - you will get an English speaker.

We caravan down to Dover then over to Calais on a 7am ferry. Our first stop which is about 2.5 - 3hrs from Calais is a site called le bec hellouin just south of Rouen. Site is Camping Saint Nicolas.
Perfect for an over night before the long slog on the A28 down south. Got a lovely little indoor pool too so when you pull up early afternoon you can jump straight out the van and into the pool! We hit it on the way back up too. We are going Alps this year so going down the eastern side.

Chateau de Chanteloupe near Le Mans

Camping Le Mans | Camping Le Château de Chanteloup dans la Sarthe (72)

Fantastic site, although a little remote but we have returned here couple times in our motorhoming days

You would need to book well in advance

EDIT BELOW

Oops, they not open in September

Look up the Alan Rogers website, usually gives reliable reviews etc

Thanks - have now 'found' Alan Rogers site thanks to you - a useful resource.
I'd like to get the larger part of our journey to Monpazier done on the first day so probably homing in on sites just south of Tours - there's a couple of convenient ones listed on the Alan Roger's site.

Back