Steering wheel skins

I’m in the process of doing my car wheel tonight with a similar one from AliExpress, which is cut specifically for the particular wheel.

Thoughts so far -
Take the wheel off. I started in the car, but that makes it much harder than pulling the wheel off.
Don’t go for contrast stitching on your first go. I’ve gone all black, and it does make some of my slightly dodgy stitches disappear.
Perforated panels around the spokes make the leather stretch around complex curves.
The stitching is easy enough in concept- just lacing back and forth over the join.

So far it is going neatly, nice to the touch, and looks better than what was on previously (the finish had gone, and it felt slimy when damp).

IMG_4070.jpeg

Finished, and the wheel back together. Nice feel, no baggy sections. A couple of bits round the back of the spokes which I could be neater next time round. £21.38 delivered from Ali Express.

IMG_4075.jpeg

Interestingly, the cardboard the thread is wrapped around, the double sided tape, and the trim tool, are precisely the same on the link in the OP and my AliExpress delivery.

Back