Steering Wheel Cover

Hinsley

T6 Pro
So whilst I save for a MFSW (or to be more precise get permission to buy one) I wanted to improve the plasticy feeling one in my Shuttle so I thought I'd try one of these from Vee Dub Transporters Quality Steering Wheel Cover - Vee Dub Transporters

IMG_8130.JPG

For some reason I didn't take a before pic but this is the initial loose fit:
IMG_8131.JPG
The YouTube video makes it look really easy and to be fair once you get away from the "arms?" of the wheel it does become easier. Just try to keep tension on the thread and follow the contours of the wheel . It took about an hour and a half to do.

So after a million pricks with the needle, feeling faint with blood loss I have finished and I'm quite happy with it. Obviously, not as good as a MFSW or if a pro had done it but it feels a lot nicer to drive with.

IMG_8134.JPG

At first I didn't see the 2nd picture. I was thinking WTF mate? The job looks totally sh1t! Then I eventually saw the 2nd pic!

Doesn't look too bad. Nice work.

Mmmhm. I did the same on my Shuttle wheel, a wee while ago. As a temporary measure, it does the trick. Stitching it up was strangely therapeutic, in between the bits that involve the effusion of blood.

20190314_131857.jpg

Last edited:
Mmmhm. I did the same on my Shuttle wheel, a wee while ago. As a temporary measure, it does the trick. Strangely therapeutic, in between the bits that involve the effusion of blood.

View attachment 38895

Nice, yours actually looks like a proper wheel with the 4 segments and tight folds/curves around the arms.

I've stopped bleeding now.

I've driven it and it does feel 100% better over the plastic wheel, just hope the Mrs doesn't see this as a permenant upgrade!

At first I didn't see the 2nd picture. I was thinking WTF mate? The job looks totally sh1t! Then I eventually saw the 2nd pic!

Doesn't look too bad. Nice work.

I'm no upholstery trimmer by any means, but if the first photo was the completed job I'd be a dead man walking!

Yeah. The plastic steering wheel is an awful thing to hold. Thought it best not to mention to Mrs Donkey, I'd suddenly developed a fetish for stitching leather.

Steampunk corset anyone?

Back