Starting all over again

Timpo

T6 Pro
Back in Feb I flipped my Van on the A30, totalling it. Extremely lucky to get out with cuts and bruises.

The van was much loved, bought as a T6 highline, T28 150PS panel van i with 14k miles on for £24.5k. It died with 50k miles on and a lot of money spent on it. No going through the painful process of arguing with the insurance company as to how much its worth now. With the increase in prices its most likely going to leave me very out of pocket.

Anyway, I've found another T6, same spec with 30k miles (for £5.5k more!) and I'm starting again.

I loved my van and it went everywhere, we stayed in it most weekends, full of bikes, surfboards etc. I lost a few splitters on the way! But it wasn't completely practical. 20" staggered wheels, colour coded grill/mirrors etc, B14's etc etc. It was also expensive to do and spent most weekends squeezing down country lanes to find swell or trails. Now, I'm torn, I like the lowered steel wheel look but also want it to be a little more practical than the old van without it looking like its half done.

Currently I'm thinking B14 Komforts (I had B14's before and snapped springs but have read good things about Komforts), JBW pepperpot wheels paired with some kind of all weather tyres, upgrade lights, possible sportline kit etc and then use it!

If anyone has any comments on the planned mods I'd appreciate any guidance.

IMG-20200830-WA0003.jpg

2021-06-24 10.26.29.jpg

What were the contributing factors leading up to you flipping your previous van? Alterations to the suspension/wheels, ambition exceeding ability :whistle: etc? If any of those were a factor, maybe avoid making the same mistakes again with the new van. The insurance companies aren’t going to be kind to you, so maybe keep the new van close to standard until things settle down.

Hi @Timpo …..We stuck with 18” and Kw v1 ( so can be adjusted) Being a T32 high line got bigger anti roll bars ) but I recommend you speak to @CRS Performance …will give you knowledgeable advice….
bigger Wheels look good but not always practical….learnt from previous vehicles that bigger not always better…then you spend far to much money trying to make it a better ride to accommodate bigger wheels…glade you got your new van…The journey continues :)

I have been through your pain in past with other vehicles, a much loved A spec Sunbeam back in the day had taken far too much of my time and money before ending its life on the front of a tractor in the welsh lanes. From what you say about surf and cycling maybe the swamper look would be better suited to your activities.
It’s a good look on the T6 and really practical. Can also be much cheaper, for example standard Devonport wheels with chunky tyres.
What I really found out after swapping a series of wannabe rally cars for a Austin Montego estate!!! Was that no one really cared about my cars or how fast they were.

What were the contributing factors leading up to you flipping your previous van? Alterations to the suspension/wheels, ambition exceeding ability :whistle: etc? If any of those were a factor, maybe avoid making the same mistakes again with the new van. The insurance companies aren’t going to be kind to you, so maybe keep the new van close to standard until things settle down.
Heavy rain and a large patch of water were the contributing factors. The Van aquaplaned and high-sided.

I have been through your pain in past with other vehicles, a much loved A spec Sunbeam back in the day had taken far too much of my time and money before ending its life on the front of a tractor in the welsh lanes. From what you say about surf and cycling maybe the swamper look would be better suited to your activities.
It’s a good look on the T6 and really practical. Can also be much cheaper, for example standard Devonport wheels with chunky tyres.
What I really found out after swapping a series of wannabe rally cars for a Austin Montego estate!!! Was that no one really cared about my cars or how fast they were.
I think you could be right about the swamper. I remember thinking that in the old van while driving down a lane leading to the SW Coast path!
I think I care less about how it looks this time to be honest. I want it to be more suited to its use.

You could also give Chris a call at the Van Cave as he’s not to far from Bristol. Great for all things suspension related.

Heavy rain and a large patch of water were the contributing factors. The Van aquaplaned and high-sided.
Dr Salty prescribes the following:-
A set of non-trendy, cross climate/all season tyres in sensible sizes, to be taken with VB air. And go easy with the right foot:whistle:

Back