Split Charge

VanBlanc

Life is a Beach so we are back...
VIP Member
T6 Guru
With the OE second battery there must be some form of split charge already from the alternator?

So if I am doing 230V hook up and want split charge for the vehicle battery and the second battery do I feed that DC from a charger hooked up to the 230V or do I use an additional split charge through a CTEK Dual?

With the OE second battery there must be some form of split charge already from the alternator?

So if I am doing 230V hook up and want split charge for the vehicle battery and the second battery do I feed that DC from a charger hooked up to the 230V or do I use an additional split charge through a CTEK Dual?
Both, you'll need the ctek D250 between the alternator(starting battery) and your leisure battery to charge when driving and a ctek battery charger on the hookup if you want to charge one or both when stationary.

I built this removable powerpack that contains an AGM battery, Ctek D250 and a Ctek M300 25a charger;

powerpack6.JPG powerpack4.JPG powerpack9.JPG

You can charge it by either plugging it into the vehicle using an Anderson plug lead, mains hookup or solar panel.

Both, you'll need the ctek D250 between the alternator(starting battery) and your leisure battery to charge when driving and a ctek battery charger on the hookup if you want to charge one or both when stationary.
But surely as the second battery is the OE option the split charge from the alternator already exists in the vehicle?

But surely as the second battery is the OE option the split charge from the alternator already exists in the vehicle?
Yes, I would have thought so, but I wasn't sure by your question.

I think I have a complete answer now from Martyn @ Travelvolts.com.

"I would advise fitting the mains hook up and the Victron 12/10 charger. Also fit the radio conversion loom to get the radio onto the second battery. This set up will take care of your fridge and stereo usage. If you want a proper battery monitoring system then I suggest the Merlin Smartgauge. This can give you accurate information about the state of charge of your aux battery and also indicate the van battery voltage."

Just need to charge the second battery from the mains hook up and shift the head unit power over to that with fridge, interior LEDs and water pump.

Leave the vehicle battery alone as it needs to be only 80% charged to allow the alternator recovery to work.

So the next question goes back to the capacity of the Second Battery. May need to up it or even consider a second second battery :)

Going to go for a second second battery under the drivers seat so I get 170Ah.

It's an easy job but needs doing with a matched battery as soon as I get the van so they work as a pair.

Back