Sounds Like A Washing Machine.......

WalshyR32

Hi All,

Got a 2021 T6.1 Kombi and done 65,000 KM to date. Recently I've noticed a strange noise when I'm driving which I can only describe as sounding like a washing machine as it's getting up to full spin speed.

When I'm sat on the motorway it's almost like a constant deep bass humming and as I slow down and road noise dissipates I can hear it definitely has an intermittent occurrence (which suggest to my very unqualified mind that it's something related to the wheels???) although there's no vibration through the steering wheel and I've not noticed and change in alignment.

It is on coilovers but not 'slammed' and it's on the standard 17" VW steelies.

Just wondering if there's anything that's 'common' to go down around this mileage that might need replacing?

Cheers!

Hi All,

Got a 2021 T6.1 Kombi and done 65,000 KM to date. Recently I've noticed a strange noise when I'm driving which I can only describe as sounding like a washing machine as it's getting up to full spin speed.

When I'm sat on the motorway it's almost like a constant deep bass humming and as I slow down and road noise dissipates I can hear it definitely has an intermittent occurrence (which suggest to my very unqualified mind that it's something related to the wheels???) although there's no vibration through the steering wheel and I've not noticed and change in alignment.

Just wondering if there's anything that's 'common' to go down around this mileage that might need replacing?

Cheers!

Tyres can make a range of strange noises as they wear, if your tyres are worn I'd change them but it's also possible that you've got a wheel bearing on the way out.
In reality any diagnosis we give without driving your van is more of a best guess than a diagnosis.

Not being funny but have you checked your tyres for a screw or bolt embedded into one maybe 2 tyres???? That could give you the intermittent noise you say you have. Start at the simple things first. Then maybe check wheel bolts and pressure before assuming the worst. Good luck.

Tyres can make a range of strange noises as they wear, if your tyres are worn I'd change them but it's also possible that you've got a wheel bearing on the way out.
In reality any diagnosis we give without driving your van is more of a best guess than a diagnosis.
Hi Dave, I checked the tread on all 4 corners and it is still good and I can't see any flat spots or uneven wear. I also thought it could be a wheel bearing so you mentioning that confirms what I was thinking as another possible cause. Will get them checked out.

Thanks!

Not being funny but have you checked your tyres for a screw or bolt embedded into one maybe 2 tyres???? That could give you the intermittent noise you say you have. Start at the simple things first. Then maybe check wheel bolts and pressure before assuming the worst. Good luck.
Hi JDC, thanks for replying, I appreciate it. Yep I checked for those mate and all good!

Thanks.

Reactions: JDC
Hi All,

Cheers!
We have a very similar "sound" from our 2017 T6.1 204DSG. My wife likens it to "heavy breathing".
It's a low volume, rhythmic, deep drone that pulses approximately every second. Sometimes it's not there at all. It normally appears once the engine is warmed up and we're doing a constant speed. It's as if something like the DPF is trying to recharge, but it's there every journey. We've had the vehicle from new, it's done about 40k miles and as far as I can remember the sound has always been there. Coincidentally (maybe), DPF regen seems to happen more than I would expect.
We've also had the EGR manifold changed because I could smell exhaust fumes in the cab, but that was done over a year ago. Recently the EML light has been on which was found to be a EGR issue, so may have to replace it soon. Anyones else had this and diagnosed the issue??

Back