Solar Cable Length query

winstonedd

T6 Pro
So when i was planning my van i was going to install leisure battery and controller in the rear. However when my poptop install went ahead i didnt realise they were bringing the solar cable thats behind the poptop framework to the pillar behind drivers seat.

the cable is long enough to direct to the rear again (behind the carpeted plywood panels) but my question is:

Is this cable routing too long for the solar power? i ideally wish to have the diesel heater under my seat to reduce noise outside for other campers and the batteries, controller etc in the kitchen units to rear of van

many thanks

So when i was planning my van i was going to install leisure battery and controller in the rear. However when my poptop install went ahead i didnt realise they were bringing the solar cable thats behind the poptop framework to the pillar behind drivers seat.

the cable is long enough to direct to the rear again (behind the carpeted plywood panels) but my question is:

Is this cable routing too long for the solar power? i ideally wish to have the diesel heater under my seat to reduce noise outside for other campers and the batteries, controller etc in the kitchen units to rear of van

many thanks
Put the heater under the van in the usual place beneath the drivers seat. As noble as your intentions are, the exhaust will still need to be routed outside, and that’s where the noise comes from. You’re overthinking it.

Put the heater under the van in the usual place beneath the drivers seat. As noble as your intentions are, the exhaust will still need to be routed outside, and that’s where the noise comes from. You’re overthinking it.
ahh ok. so the noise as far as heater going outside or inside makes no difference to others that may be sleeping near our van (due to the exhaust) im guessing there is a difference to the noise inside and that in this case its more beneficial for interior noise with no difference to external?

ahh ok. so the noise as far as heater going outside or inside makes no difference to others that may be sleeping near our van (due to the exhaust) im guessing there is a difference to the noise inside and that in this case its more beneficial for interior noise with no difference to external?
You want the heater outside of the van, you don’t want diesel & fume potential inside. Keep the smelly dangerous stuff outside. And fit a CO alarm while you’re at it.

Finished my solar fit today with the cables fed outside the habitation area to two predrilled grommeted holes in the RHS barn door cill. No idea what their original purpose was. Cables feed above the wardrobe and along the back of the rack and pop out just before the drivers B pillar. My Victron MPPT is mounted behind the driver's seat allowing a short output run to the LB under the driver. All working good.

On your point about heaters. Got a tip to but a small AC Ceramic heater so that I don't need to burn my diesel when on EHU.

Finished my solar fit today with the cables fed outside the habitation area to two predrilled grommeted holes in the RHS barn door cill. No idea what their original purpose was. Cables feed above the wardrobe and along the back of the rack and pop out just before the drivers B pillar. My Victron MPPT is mounted behind the driver's seat allowing a short output run to the LB under the driver. All working good.

On your point about heaters. Got a tip to but a small AC Ceramic heater so that I don't need to burn my diesel when on EHU.
We have a small 1-2KW fan heater for when on EHU. The Webasto is heater of last resort.

If your paying for electricity as part of you campsite fee then use it☺️Have seen some sites charging per KwH

If your paying for electricity as part of you campsite fee then use it☺️Have seen some sites charging per KwH
Yup, we’ve been on a few metered sites, mostly in Austria & Italy. Only on one in the UK so far. The Austrians know how to charge o_O

any updates as to if my solar cable thats installed can run from back of van to front and back again without any issues or is this too long? (im unable to access to make shorter due to being behind pop top framework)

Not an expert here but is the crucial length that between the MPPT and the LB because the voltage from the Solar is infinitely variable?

Not an expert here but is the crucial length that between the MPPT and the LB because the voltage from the Solar is infinitely variable?
im hoping thats the case as my LB and MPPT will be super close. its just the solar to MPPT wire may be about 10-11 metres so unsure if there are negative impacts of using this cable length

im hoping thats the case as my LB and MPPT will be super close. its just the solar to MPPT wire may be about 10-11 metres so unsure if there are negative impacts of using this cable length
It can be any length you like as long as it’s sized properly. 4mm2 will be fine

Heater under van, 4mm cable fine. Some regulators have tiny terminals so avoid these. Victron, Ctek, Renology etc all fine.

Heater under van, 4mm cable fine. Some regulators have tiny terminals so avoid these. Victron, Ctek, Renology etc all fine.
yeah i have the 50a renology DC to DC. i just need to work out what size midi fuses i have either side. im guessing 60a fuses for the 50a renolgy. my aim is to install batteries in rear of van so that i can have bigger (multiples) of lithium down the line but to also enable the under seat sub box from Alpine (not sure where else i could install a sub

Back