Small portable gas heater??

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Is there a small portable caller gas heater on the market that can be used to heat the inside of my van, even if it's only background heat?

Can't afford a diesel installation currently but would like something that could be used in the van to extend its use in cold weather.

Does such a product exist?

Ta :thumbsup:

Carbon monoxide, condensation and naked flames, are all present/bi-products when burning gas for heat; they don't mix well with confined spaces and 2 of them can, and do, kill people every year!! You would either need to provide some sort of flue/exhaust and, ideally, have the flame enclosed (e.g. installed propex heater) or leave your doors and windows wide open which would defeat the object somewhat. There are some gas heaters sold for "camping" but if you read the small print they are meant for well ventilated areas, i.e. not a closed up tent or van.

If you have electric available then a small oil filled radiator would be a far safer option.

Do you have electric hook up? May be easier to find an electric one.
We have a propex gas heater and there may be others - problem will be getting sufficient ventilation.

Carbon monoxide, condensation and naked flames, are all present/bi-products when burning gas for heat; they don't mix well with confined spaces and 2 of them can, and do, kill people every year!! You would either need to provide some sort of flue/exhaust and, ideally, have the flame enclosed (e.g. installed propex heater) or leave your doors and windows wide open which would defeat the object somewhat. There are some gas heaters sold for "camping" but if you read the small print they are meant for well ventilated areas, i.e. not a closed up tent or van.

If you have electric available then a small oil filled radiator would be a far safer option.

Thanks - mine was a pretty stupid question then!

Hi guys,

Im looking at getting a gas heater for off grid stays as I cant afford a diesel heater just yet. Can anyone recommend one? I've seen this on Amazon that gets good reviews but just wondered what other people had. Even better is its cheaper ha ha

Im looking at getting a gas heater for off grid stays as I cant afford a diesel heater just yet. Can anyone recommend one? I've seen this on Amazon that gets good reviews but just wondered what other people had. Even better is its cheaper ha ha
Post moved to existing thread.

Hi guys,

Do you realise you can't use this in an enclosed space ?

Pete

Do you realise you can't use this in an enclosed space ?

Pete
I know you got the issue of ventilation but im unsure on how much ventilation. i.e. can you just crack a window open a tiny amount? It says its safe for indoor use but doesnt speciffically say wht volume of space. From the reviews people are using them in motorhomes

your be fine it says automatic cut out when lack of oxygen lack of oxygen due to the carbon monoxide level being so high not worth the risk

Hi guys,

You would be safer with something like this (other Chinese Van Heaters are available) as it vents the flue outside the van.

Its also cheaper than the above heater.

Agreed. These things aren't meant for the small interiors of our vans.

Pete

You would be safer with something like this (other Chinese Van Heaters are available) as it vents the flue outside the van.

Its also cheaper than the above heater.

I know but then its the installation costs too

your be fine it says automatic cut out when lack of oxygen lack of oxygen due to the carbon monoxide level being so high not worth the risk
There's a massive difference between lack of oxygen and a dangerous carbon monoxide level.
You only need 150 parts per million of Carbon Monoxide for unconciousness - I'm fairly confident this would not trigger an automatic cut out for lack of oxygen ( which makes up 21% of air normally)

Simon

There's a massive difference between lack of oxygen and a dangerous carbon monoxide level.
You only need 150 parts per million of Carbon Monoxide for unconciousness - I'm fairly confident this would not trigger an automatic cut out for lack of oxygen ( which makes up 21% of air normally)

Simon
I was taking the p**s our carbon monoxide goes off if you boil the kettle without opening the side door

Hi guys,

Seriously, save / scrape the money together for a proper diesel heater install.

You won't regret it.

Back