skyline roof tent bed floor hinge

Robert Dillon

my skyline roof top bed floor, has lost screws in the piano hinge that holds the roof / floor to the van roof. If that makes sence. Anyone else had any issues and what, if so, was your solution. Thanks in advance. Robert

got a few pics?
Thank you so much for responding.

It is difficult to show,because at the start and the end of the process of opening it up it looks correct.

Basically, when you have opened the pop top roof and then go to lift the bed. Even though we hold it in both corners for equal lift pressure, as the bed folds, the bed twists as it raises and then that puts the pressure on the piano hinge and the screws just pop. Even when the wife lifts it and I hold on to the piston and pull/hold it down to try and avoid it lifting and twisting and getting worse.

Whatever the outcome I suspect it will need a new hinge. But just wondered if anyone has had a similar situation and if a replacement piano hinge is the only way.

Can you replace the missing screws?
I have the same poptop and if it's the hinge I'm thinking of it's fairly small but very accessible.

maybe the screws are pulling out because the hole is opened out now?

possibly glueing the small screws in with wood glue?

pics will still help for context.

we talking about this hinge?

1710316242152.png

If the piano hinge is not damaged then you can reuse it.
Superglue a matchstick into the hole and when it's dry you can add the screw. Is it an option to use longer screws? The screwhead needs to be small to allow the hinge to close without binding. Or add a larger countersink on the hinge so that you can use a heavier screw.

Thank you so much guys for all this advice. I will get my lad to go up on the bed this weekend, and have a good look at what going on. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.
This is were sons come in handy.

Again thanks for the advice, especially about the fixing side of things.

Cheer from Tasmania

If the piano hinge is not damaged then you can reuse it.
Superglue a matchstick into the hole and when it's dry you can add the screw. Is it an option to use longer screws? The screwhead needs to be small to allow the hinge to close without binding. Or add a larger countersink on the hinge so that you can use a heavier screw.
Thank you so much for this advice.

I would think that if the bed board is twisting during lifting that maybe one of the struts is loosing it’s lifting ability so you are getting an imbalance on the board when it’s rising causing the twist and the tension on the hinge screws.

I have a Danbury Campervan that has a custom made (Danbury spec) Skyline roof and bed.

There are 4 screws holding the rear bed base, and I found that the offside screws work their way loose over time so the bed can twist a bit when pulling the bed down.

I fitted an extra pozidrive screw half way along each side - 1" x 6. This has definitely improved the situation.

Really need left handed screws, don't think they exist

Back