Sidebars and wheel jacks

Colinlp

Cabinet-maker
T6 Guru
When sidebars are fitted will the OEM jack still fit and lift the vehicle in the event of a puncture?

it depends what bars you have, I have largish sidebars as they have steps on cos my little lad can't get in/out of the van without them and my jack no longer fits underneath as when lifting on the factory points the scissor fouls the bars

it depends what bars you have, I have largish sidebars as they have steps on cos my little lad can't get in/out of the van without them and my jack no longer fits underneath as when lifting on the factory points the scissor fouls the bars

Just checked my oem jack out with the side steps, doesn’t work, it goes so far then hits the step, I was thinking of getting a scissor jack instead, any other ideas, I don’t want a trolley jack as to large to carry.

FF10E65F-E305-45FD-995F-4EDFEEA84853.jpeg
Has anyone got a good solution to this problem..?
I recently fitted these 75mm Vanstyle ones & was surprised to find the supplied jack wouldn’t work...
I carry & have a spare in both summer & winter wheels so am a tad pissed that there are no warnings...

I have the same problem, I bought a cheap scissor jack off amazon. It’s a bit of a struggle to lift the van but it does work, I use a socket and ratchet to lift it.
it is a pain in the ass the original jack doesn’t work.

A8BB2905-95AF-45CF-B0E4-80A36F847A6E.jpeg

I’ve ordered a 5T bottle jack and will see how I get on with that... comes in a moulded PU case so hopefully I’ll be able to fix it down in place of the original... along with a piece of ply for it to stand on if I end up on soft ground...

I’ve ordered a 5T bottle jack and will see how I get on with that... comes in a moulded PU case so hopefully I’ll be able to fix it down in place of the original... along with a piece of ply for it to stand on if I end up on soft ground...
As was recently pointed out to me, make sure the bottle jack will fit under with a fully deflated tyre. I’m also packing a chock to drive the flat tyre on to.
It’s a fine line getting the jack range and spacers correct.

Good idea, let us know how the bottle jack works out, the scissor jack is a bit weak to be honest but should work Ok.

As was recently pointed out to me, make sure the bottle jack will fit under with a fully deflated tyre. I’m also packing a chock to drive the flat tyre on to.
It’s a fine line getting the jack range and spacers correct.
Good point, I’m thinking the bottle jack won’t go up high enough when the tyre is flat. Or the jack will be to high to go under the van when the tyre is flat.

Good point, I’m thinking the bottle jack won’t go up high enough when the tyre is flat. Or the jack will be to high to go under the van when the tyre is flat.
Correct, take some time to do some careful measuring, worst case it will be a case of finding a suitable pot hole or kerb to use as an aid.

Good point, I was measuring the gap (without a flat) earlier then remembered that in a few weeks it’ll be on air so i’ll be able to lift the van if needed...
There you go; I knew I’d find some sort of practical reason for all that expense eventually ...:whistle:

Good point, I was measuring the gap (without a flat) earlier then remembered that in a few weeks it’ll be on air so i’ll be able to lift the van if needed...
There you go; I knew I’d find some sort of practical reason for all that expense eventually ...:whistle:
Unless the tyre is ripped you can always whack a portable compressor on to get the jack under....another option but won’t cover a badly damaged tyre.

Back