Side bars - which type?

MartyMoose

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I'm looking to fit some chrome side bars and there seems to be at least two different fitting types. I've seen some that bolt to the sills and some that have long brackets that go from one side of the van to the other. Anyone got a view on what's best? How do the genuine VW ones fit?

I've had both types. The old T5 had the ones that fit into the sills and the T6 has got the ones with the solid bars. The solid bar types seem a lot more substantial and if you did end up scraping up against anything, I think these are going to take a fair amount of abuse rather than the sill ones which could just tear out

Do side bars serve any purpose ? Or is it purely vanity , as I don't think they would serve much protection from a side impact ?

I would say a bit of both, mainly looks but i have turned in on a dwarf wall once and the first thing to touch was the bars - no damage to paintwork
On a slight side note i have a 3 year old who struggles to get in and out so have ordered side bars with steps on to help him, not that keen on the look as they are a bit chunky but will be good for a while until he grows a bit

You're right, but it's like a lot of things we do to our vans. It's the look I'm after but i don't want to bodge the fitting. That's why I wondered how VW do it because I can't imagine they would fit something that might cause damage later.

They don't stick out far enough to prevent a car park door hit.

I don't not like them, but I think it's like wrapping your van in cotton wool regarding protection, were do you stop ? I think to serve any purpose the ones with a step on would be more beneficial , but not as cool haha .

Back