Should I sell or convert?

BigDean

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Afternoon all,

We purchased our first ever Transporter this year and had it converted to a day van. Having used it a bit (2000 miles!), "her indoors" thinks we should have a full blown camper :rolleyes:

So my dilemma is whether to try and convert what we have to be a camper, or to sell and just buy a camper. The later would be my first choice, but as always, your experienced advice is welcome....

2021 T6.1 110 Highline with single seat and tailgate
Kernow conversion with full Caravelle 7 seat interior/4 rail system/table
Extensive sound deadening/insulation and carpet lining
Tinted windows all round
Vanshades shades all round
Reversing camera
Diesel heater
Alcantara halo roof with LED downlights and coloured strip lights
Roofbars and side steps
Rear spoiler
17" alloys with BFG tyres

Overall it stands me in at about £43k.

If I was to convert, then it would be pop top / rock and roll bed / furniture, so probably over £10k.

Do you think it is worth somewhere near to what I have spent?

What would you do?

Thanks, as always.

BigDean.

IMG_2245.JPGIMG_2241.JPG
IMG_2244.JPG

That’s a really tricky one as you’ve already spent a decent bit getting it where it is, I think it will be close when you balance how much you will lose on that vs how much extra/wasted to go to a camper
Second hand prices are very strong at the moment so you would get your money back on the van but prob wouldn’t cover what you have spent on extras plus you need to factor in how quickly you could get a camper replacement, if you want to order a new van and get it converted then you won’t see it until we’ll into next year ??

That’s a really tricky one as you’ve already spent a decent bit getting it where it is, I think it will be close when you balance how much you will lose on that vs how much extra/wasted to go to a camper
Second hand prices are very strong at the moment so you would get your money back on the van but prob wouldn’t cover what you have spent on extras plus you need to factor in how quickly you could get a camper replacement, if you want to order a new van and get it converted then you won’t see it until we’ll into next year ??
Thanks for that.

Part of me would feel really guilty ripping apart what is a fab day van! It’s ready to go for someone and I could wait until next year for the camper. We have another car and a motorhome so waiting for the right solution is okay.

Any guidance on a suggested sale price would help.

Thanks

I’m actually in the market for a 6.1 at the moment so could possibly be interested as your van looks very nice so to be 100% fair I’m not going to say any numbers and will let others give their opinions

I’m actually in the market for a 6.1 at the moment so could possibly be interested as your van looks very nice so to be 100% fair I’m not going to say any numbers and will let others give their opinions
Seems fair. Thanks.

If it was me, I'd look at the realistic selling price of the van as it sits, because although the market is strong, I'm not sure it's worth what it owes you currently.
Then weigh up the cost to replace, taking into consideration that your next purchase might not be exactly as you want it, and you might want to add bits, change wheels etc, plus the layout might not suit exactly, where as you can do a conversion the way you want it, although £10K to do a full camper conversion seems quite low if that's to include a good pop top, unless you are converting it yourself. There is obviously some strong value in the parts you are removing though, so offset that too.

Unless..... there's something you don't like about your current van that you would change on a new purchase (DSG, bigger power, LWB, colour etc) in which case you have no real option but to sell and start again anyway.

If it was me, I'd look at the realistic selling price of the van as it sits, because although the market is strong, I'm not sure it's worth what it owes you currently.
Then weigh up the cost to replace, taking into consideration that your next purchase might not be exactly as you want it, and you might want to add bits, change wheels etc, plus the layout might not suit exactly, where as you can do a conversion the way you want it, although £10K to do a full camper conversion seems quite low if that's to include a good pop top, unless you are converting it yourself. There is obviously some strong value in the parts you are removing though, so offset that too.

Unless..... there's something you don't like about your current van that you would change on a new purchase (DSG, bigger power, LWB etc) in which case you have no real option but to sell and start again anyway.
Thanks for that.

I was basing the 10k on the fact that all sound deadening/carpeting/styling etc is done, so the only things to convert it would be furniture, bed and pop top. And maybe some electrics. I was looking last night at the Uberflex bed which is a rock and roll that works on the existing Caravelle rails. Although at £3840, that seems a little on the expensive side....

Very happy with the performance of the van. Its my first, but I don't feel the need to go any faster/get anywhere any quicker.

We have currently taken the 3 seater out, and just have the 2 single rear seats. I am going to measure up today and see if we could get an airbed in there and get the missus to try that to make sure the space is enough. She is used to our large motorhome with all facilities! The best VW conversion in the world wont replicate what she/we are used to on that front.

One of the main reasons we would like a proper camper is to attend "camper" events, not just "motorhome" events. It seems like the average age of the T6 community is 20 years younger that the MoHo one......

Maybe some T6 livery on the MoHo would work and we could sneak in at the back?

Thanks
BigDean

IMG_1296.jpg

Thanks for that.

I was basing the 10k on the fact that all sound deadening/carpeting/styling etc is done, so the only things to convert it would be furniture, bed and pop top. And maybe some electrics. I was looking last night at the Uberflex bed which is a rock and roll that works on the existing Caravelle rails. Although at £3840, that seems a little on the expensive side....

Very happy with the performance of the van. Its my first, but I don't feel the need to go any faster/get anywhere any quicker.

We have currently taken the 3 seater out, and just have the 2 single rear seats. I am going to measure up today and see if we could get an airbed in there and get the missus to try that to make sure the space is enough. She is used to our large motorhome with all facilities! The best VW conversion in the world wont replicate what she/we are used to on that front.

One of the main reasons we would like a proper camper is to attend "camper" events, not just "motorhome" events. It seems like the average age of the T6 community is 20 years younger that the MoHo one......

Maybe some T6 livery on the MoHo would work and we could sneak in at the back?

Thanks
BigDean

View attachment 123334
If you are thinking of the change to attend events like CamperJam, Busfest and the T6Forum events etc, then I wouldn't bother. Many people attend these events in Caravelles or other day van types. In that case I would look at a kitchen pod of some description (possibly one that would go in behind the triple seat) and a drive away awning.
Especially if you are happy with the van now and you also have the motorhome for longer trips.

Personally, I'd keep the van and replace the motorhome with a caravan.

That way you have the van for a quick night away or a show, then a big white box that is way more practical for longer stays than the motorhome, with a nice comfortable van to go exploring away from the site in.

That way you have the van for a quick night away or a show, then a big white box that is way more practical for longer stays than the motorhome, with a nice comfortable van to go exploring away from the site in.
Not for us. We tour in the motohome around Europe and beyond, so the MoHo is perfect other than the UK.

:thumbsup:

If you are thinking of the change to attend events like CamperJam, Busfest and the T6Forum events etc, then I wouldn't bother. Many people attend these events in Caravelles or other day van types. In that case I would look at a kitchen pod of some description (possibly one that would go in behind the triple seat) and a drive away awning.
Especially if you are happy with the van now and you also have the motorhome for longer trips.
Thanks for that. Kitchen isn't the problem, it is the sleeping. From what I have read the triple seat as a bed is very uncomfortable, so the rock and roll / pop top should resolve that.

Wont get me sleeping in a tent/awning. Those days are behind me.....

Thanks for that. Kitchen isn't the problem, it is the sleeping. From what I have read the triple seat as a bed is very uncomfortable, so the rock and roll / pop top should resolve that.

Wont get me sleeping in a tent/awning. Those days are behind me.....
Agreed, its not the best, you could get a decent mattress that fits on top, there are ones specifically shaped and foldable that make it much better. The alternative is sell the caravelle bench and use the money to get a rock and roll that fits the rails. Pop top can always be done later if you're happy with that.

Agreed, its not the best, you could get a decent mattress that fits on top, there are ones specifically shaped and foldable that make it much better. The alternative is sell the caravelle bench and use the money to get a rock and roll that fits the rails. Pop top can always be done later if you're happy with that.
Other than the Uberflex, does anyone know any others that fit?

Thanks

Completely agree. We have a Cali Beach with a removable kitchen pod. The boys use the pop top and we have an 11cm inflatable mattress to make the seat bed more comfortable. The pic is us heading off to Cornwall for a fortnight last Friday - white box as our base and van for day trips!

9C4C1A02-871A-49A4-9AA2-AEE0121CF01A.jpeg

Just out of interest, how long are your respective outfits? @JOG @BigDean

MoHo is 7.5m. We only tow car within UK and only when we are somewhere without public transport or if we are going with grandkids. Then adds whatever an Aygo is + just over a meter for the A frame.

There is no Motorhome V Caravan debate as far as I am concerned. Its horses for courses. Caravans suit some peoples travel pattern, and if I had unlimited room for storage, I would to use on the odd occasion. For instance when I have the grandkids with me. But given that is only a handful of times a year, the motorhome is the only solution for long term (3 months +) touring where we may not stay anywhere for more than 3 or 4 nights and can be off grid for a week at a time.

What I am trying to do is extend the use of the VW. We converted it to use as a car replacement, which it has been spectacularly successful at. I would never go back. It would just be nice when only away for a weekend to be able to sleep in it. Also the motorhome isn't appropriate to bring to "camper" events.

Just been looking at the VanEssa bed system. Looks interesting. Anyone any experience?

Thanks all.

So just shy of 12m then. @JOG ?
It’s bit of a train! Though, we did get complimented on how good the rig looked as we came onto the site. (Luckily, it reversed onto the pitch first time….always good when you have an audience!!!)

It’s bit of a train! Though, we did get complimented on how good the rig looked as we came onto the site. (Luckily, it reversed onto the pitch first time….always good when you have an audience!!!)
ha ha. That would be my fear. The number of times I watch people trying to reverse with caravans and I say I could do better than that, knowing I probably couldn't....

Back