Should I refurb my wheels before selling?

malc s

I have genuine VW T6 18" diamond cut (black/silver) alloys with continental tyres in good (not new /perfect) condition, circa 4-6mm tread on tyres. Having had van converted changing upto 20" so selling the wheels. The questions are , firstly is it worth the cost (£340 +vat) for refurb and secondly what sensible price for in good condition v 'refurb/as new', any ideas welcome.
Some wheels up for sale (1 way or another) soon..

£340 seems a bit pricey for a refurb. Guy near me does 20" wheels at £50 a wheel. Tyres off, strip old coating, powder coat, diamond cut and laquer finally refit tyres and balance. Did my wheels on my range rover and did a cracking job

Cheers Marsie, I have had similar prices off 2 local suppliers (Coventry & Warwick) can you advise on where/who you used.
£340 seems a bit pricey for a refurb. Guy near me does 20" wheels at £50 a wheel. Tyres off, strip old coating, powder coat, diamond cut and laquer finally refit tyres and balance. Did my wheels on my range rover and did a cracking job

I thought around 70-80 per wheel was more the norm but i guess it depends where you are/how much damage/what finish you want ie paint or powder coat

I have genuine VW T6 18" diamond cut (black/silver) alloys with continental tyres in good (not new /perfect) condition, circa 4-6mm tread on tyres. Having had van converted changing upto 20" so selling the wheels. The questions are , firstly is it worth the cost (£340 +vat) for refurb and secondly what sensible price for in good condition v 'refurb/as new', any ideas welcome.
Some wheels up for sale (1 way or another) soon..
I sold a set the same as yours - wheel worm on all wheels and with tyres lower on two of them - for £265, if that helps.

Good sets seem to sell for £650 up, and excellent / as new nearer £1000

Last edited:
I just paid £100.50 inc. VAT to have a slightly kerbed wheel refurbed, so that price isn’t unusual.

Hi guys, I have a similar question. I have a set of silver Vossen VFS-1 alloys with new tyres that came with my van. Looking to possibly sell them but unsure if it’s worth refurbing them before hand? They currently have some minor curbing and prominent white worm..
any advice would be appreciated.

Would you go and buy some old wheels, then pay someone to refurb them, and sell them for a profit that made it worth the trouble? If yes, then refurbish and sell the ones you have, and set up as a wheeler dealer.

If you wouldn’t buy some to refurb, then you might as well sell yours as they are.

Reactions: JOG
ditto as above, for the cost I was quoted for refurb doubt I would've covered the cost/time involved

Back