Shorty Mudflaps

Heath1984

T6 Guru
Happy Xmas everyone.

I’ve just fitted the rear shorty mudflaps and got a bit stuck on the fronts. I know you have to modify them to fit the 6.1 but I’m not 100% where I should cutout.
Has anyone done this or have a picture of the mod?
Cheers

I have these ready to go on too now I have my Sportline. Will be watching this thread with interest….

I fitted these about 2 weeks ago and followed the attached pictures. I used a Dremel to cut away the plastic and I'm really pleased with how they turned out. I found the drivers side more difficult than the passengers side, but just make sure the bottom of the door clears the flap.

I also put 2 screws in, to make sure they don't move around. Good luck

6790E8C0-842E-4FF9-9BE1-F65C8C728DC5~2.jpeg

Screenshot_20221204-102957~2.jpg

I fitted these about 2 weeks ago and followed the attached pictures. I used a Dremel to cut away the plastic and I'm really pleased with how they turned out. I found the drivers side more difficult than the passengers side, but just make sure the bottom of the door clears the flap.

I also put 2 screws in, to make sure they don't move around. Good luck

View attachment 183099

View attachment 183100
Brilliant thanks for that, I was thinking one screw didn’t feel right so I’ll go for two as well I think.

Just removed my T6 .1 front mudflaps after a year cos I reckon they're a potential rust trap.

I took a look behind them when removing my winter wheels, the plastic part that wraps around the side of the sill just below the door traps dirt, grit and salt etc.

I'm gonna try and figure out a simpler mudflap design without the wrap round bit, has anyone done anything like that before?

I bought some a few months ago but I've held off fitting them because when I offered up the rears to see what they looked like, they were touching the painted part of the bumper and I thought that with any slight movement they'd rub the paint off.

Just removed my T6 .1 front mudflaps after a year cos I reckon they're a potential rust trap.

I took a look behind them when removing my winter wheels, the plastic part that wraps around the side of the sill just below the door traps dirt, grit and salt etc.

I'm gonna try and figure out a simpler mudflap design without the wrap round bit, has anyone done anything like that before?
Good point, never really considered that. I'll take a lookover the weekend and see if there's anything concerning. Probably good houskeeping to take them off a couple of times a year and clean up.

I bought some a few months ago but I've held off fitting them because when I offered up the rears to see what they looked like, they were touching the painted part of the bumper and I thought that with any slight movement they'd rub the paint off.
Yeah I know what you mean about the paint work.

I'm happy with the rear mudflaps.
But first I think it's better too relieve the mudflap sharp edges with a fine toothed file or abrasive paper then fit some clear plastic vinyl protector to the bumper/mudflap contact area, (similar to the stuff that comes as standard on the leading edge of the rear arches).

After that I think you're good to go.

Have a look behind the wheel arch liner (undo the lower screw where the stubbies locate) peel back the liner !

E663DEDE-17CB-4C81-BD23-4DE1AB8411FB.jpeg

1758F978-1026-407D-BDE2-F06BFDF036A2.jpeg

Anyone thought of sealing the flaps with a bit of black silicone to stop them rubbing on the paintwork? I’ve got some black stick on foam which I might stick on the edge to stop it rubbing as havnt fitted mine yet either…

Update.
on closer inspection I noticed paint on the sills rubbed through to the primer, that's only after having them fitted for a year on a new van.
So that's the shorty front mudflaps permanently removed.

I've just fitted genuine VW front mudflaps (part number7HO 075 111).
They seem more substantial but less attractive than the shorties, but they fit without fouling the paint work and are probably less likely to trap dirt behind the wheel arch liner as they are slung underneath.

Update.
on closer inspection I noticed paint on the sills rubbed through to the primer, that's only after having them fitted for a year on a new van.
So that's the shorty front mudflaps permanently removed.

I've just fitted genuine VW front mudflaps (part number7HO 075 111).
They seem more substantial but less attractive than the shorties, but they fit without fouling the paint work and are probably less likely to trap dirt behind the wheel arch liner as they are slung underneath.

@ skoti , are these suitably close to OE model from VW to cure the problem you highlight ?

Yep,

They look similar to my genuine VW flaps.

Mines were tight against the painted part of the sills when I tried them on, so I removed a wee bit of rubber with an angle grinder to prevent chaffing.

Better design. It will not catch all the dirt. However if the paint is not stone chipped, cleaning there including behind rear arches before winter and after it will be enough to keep the area rust free.
This mud flaps you found will not prevent stone chips in that corner area of the sill which is the first bit to start rusting.

Better design. It will not catch all the dirt. However if the paint is not stone chipped, cleaning there including behind rear arches before winter and after it will be enough to keep the area rust free.
This mud flaps you found will not prevent stone chips in that corner area of the sill which is the first bit to start rusting.
Aye,
it's funny you should mention that corner area of the sill, because only yesterday I was looking at the old shortys I removed with a view to chopping them up and fitting a wee bit that would protect that exposed corner area.

It is a better design or needs a better one ? Seems its between a rock (no pun) and a hard place - stone chips or paint rub (with shorties )

Yep,

They look similar to my genuine VW flaps.

Mines were tight against the painted part of the sills when I tried them on, so I removed a wee bit of rubber with an angle grinder to prevent chaffing.

1/2 the price for a rear 'hugger' + replica OE front ones
Shame they're temporarily OOS
I'll give it a week or two, then I'll need to jump

As a side note , my first T6 was Dec 2015 model Indium Grey , my present one is 2022 Candy White - similar use/mileage but I've noticed more stonechips on the newer one - maybe a paint quality issue ???

It is a better design or needs a better one ? Seems its between a rock (no pun) and a hard place - stone chips or paint rub (with shorties )
Stones chips on the corner area of the sill would probably be noticed during the weekly wash, and then touched up accordingly. But hidden paint rub caused by the shorties would probably manifest it's self with dreaded rust blisters appearing from within...

That's why my shorties are permanently removed from the front.

Back