Secondary battery location advice - 2016 Kombi

timmyt6

Hi, i'd like to run a secondary battery for my ebersbacher heater (to start up from) and to run my dash cam from (on 24/7) so I don't need to worry about damaging & draining the ridiculously expensive stop start battery I've now got to replace.

In past vans I've located the leisure battery under the driver seat but I have my heater inlet coming in under the driver seat now.

As the van is not a camper van I don't need to do any wiring in the back or have hookup etc and don't fancy having it take up useful storage space under the seat.

There looks to be space next to the main battery in the engine bay for a smaller battery - probably doesn't need to be a leisure battery either.

Any help or photos much appreciated!!

Thanks.

Hi Timmy. Many folk have the leisure battery under the passenger seat, as i do. My passenger seat is a single, and an AGM battery sits on its side no problem. And if you do fit a leisure battery, how are you gonna keep it charged? If you search the site using the search facility, there is a wealth of information regarding this subject.
Though, if you have specific questions needing answered, Don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks Hoggle - Yeh I don't want it under either seat so want to avoid that if possible.

My plan is to add it next to the starter battery in the engine bay with the split charge relay all tucked away nicely in there.

Someone must have done this on a T6??? - seen it on a T4.

Thanks

If your T6 has the start stop function, then the split charge relay option isn't the way to go. A Dc-Dc charger will need to be fitted.
If you have a look at the Electrics | Travelvolts site, it will answer your queries. Or get in touch with the guys at Travelvolts with your questions, they are more than willing to help you out.

Just wanted to update this thread.

If you want a secondary battery in the engine bay of a T6 it has to be a small one to fit it in. This will then only really be suitable for occasional start-up of the night heater etc.

On reflection, by the time the wiring has all be done and I've spent the money on the DC DC charger I may as well squeeze in the largest leisure battery I can under one of the front seats. There goes my storage space but at least I can plug in a cool box and charge stuff whilst the van is stationary without any concerns.

Same conclusion i'm sure lots of people have come to before.

Underslung leisure batteries, mounted on offside.
Like others have said there is plenty of advice and info on the Forum.

AAB0B981-7A15-4D4A-B707-D38C65743BFE.jpeg

Hi Timmy. Many folk have the leisure battery under the passenger seat, as i do. My passenger seat is a single, and an AGM battery sits on its side no problem. And if you do fit a leisure battery, how are you gonna keep it charged? If you search the site using the search facility, there is a wealth of information regarding this subject.
Though, if you have specific questions needing answered, Don't hesitate to ask!

Hi Hoggle, apologies for piggybacking on this thread; however, I would like to ask does your passenger seat swivel and if so can you recommend a non OEM swivel base?
Thank you.

Hi Hoggle, apologies for piggybacking on this thread; however, I would like to ask does your passenger seat swivel and if so can you recommend a non OEM swivel base?
Thank you.
Hi Rob, my passenger seat does swivel. I'm sure the one I bought was a Sportscraft one. Very easy to fit, and well worth it.

Back