Seat belt removal and MOT

Nigel W

T6 Guru
I have a professionally fully converted camper and the rear seats/bed came with two fully legal fitted seatbelts.

As there is only the two of us and no one has, or ever will, sit in the back whilst travelling and the belts were just a nuisance I removed them.
Life is so much easier for us without the hassle of the belts getting in way whilst making/sleeping in the bed etc.

My MOT is due shortly - is it a failure to have seats without seatbelts? Should I put them back?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

To put the belts back or take the seats out ?
Oh it’s not that drastic, just to put the belts back in although........it has been suggested I present the camper to the mot testing centre with the bed made up so no seats...now that sounds like a very cunning plan?

All seats present must have belts.

I've just read the whole internet, and my understanding is that it is a legal requirement for the driver and front passenger seat to have seatbelts. It doesn't seem to be a requirement for other seats to have belts fitted. So if the belts aren't fitted, they can't be tested. What this means is that the seats with no belts can't be used for travel.

Camping and caravan club say
For many years cars have been fitted with seat belts to all passenger seats and now all modern motorhomes are to have seat belts fitted to all designated travelling seats. Other seats not designated as travelling seats and designed for use when static do not have to have seat belts fitted and should not be used when travelling.

gosh it’s confusing, what’s the legal definition of a travelling seat?

Camping and caravan club say
For many years cars have been fitted with seat belts to all passenger seats and now all modern motorhomes are to have seat belts fitted to all designated travelling seats. Other seats not designated as travelling seats and designed for use when static do not have to have seat belts fitted and should not be used when travelling.

gosh it’s confusing, what’s the legal definition of a travelling seat?

I'd say having a proper seat belt makes it a traveling seat. If it doesn't have a seat belt, then you can't use it as one. Get caught in it or have an accident, then you're in trouble if it's not a 'traveling' seat, but if there are only 2 occupants belted up in the front, all's good.

Back