Sealed units

Loz

Admin
VIP Member
@StudleyGlass this question is mainly aimed in your direction:) but also interested in others experience.

Do sealed units have to mounted in a frame of some sort, or can they simply just be bonded into an opening with a marine grade mastic?

I will say a double glazed unit needs to be support all round as the seal between the two panes is not designed to carry the weigh of the panes of glass either side of the spacer bar . When a unit is installed into a frame it must be supported on the bottom by some glass packers the same depth as the unit ( e.g 28mm/24mm)if not the unit can fail. Also the unit must not be sat in water or the seals will rot and fail the unit. The best was to glue any glass and mirrors is mirror adhesive perfect for the job. Hope this makes some sense, what you have in mind @Loz ?

Thanks I understand.
I have 2 bay windows with stone mullions (built 1860) and they currently have white UPVC frames. However the side windows are quite narrow and what I would like to do is fit a larger triple glazed unit in from behind as the stone has a nice rebate and this would give me a larger glass area and hide the frame from the outside...

I could still use a support frame of some sort behind the stone I suppose.

OK Right i think im with you, can you email me some pictures and are take a look , sure i can come up with a plan.
Do you no what thickness the Dg units are in the pvc frames you have? we can improve on the efficiency of those maybe even triple glaze them. I can achieve a u- value of .9 in a modern 28mm DG unit. 36mm triple unit .5 u- value .

Oh house windows, don't start me l need two front windows. Company's come measure and go..... never hear from them again.

The window industry is a crap one, not many goods firms around, all money no service ! I run and worked for my dad's DG company for a few years from when i left school but hated it and the idiots in it. Set up my little glass shop when i was 24, much happier.

Back