Running wires after poptop fitted

denz1968

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all

Done a search but couldnt find a definitive answer
My poptop gets fitted with solar panel and windows in my LWB T6.1 week after next.

The installer is putting a wiring loom in for their standard lighting and speaker system - so 2 rear speakers near ceiling mounted, 3 rear lights down the passenger side, 2 rear reading lights, and solar in feed.

But what if we decide we would like a phone USB charger down the rear passenger side later on. Or maybe a 240V socket.
Are there ways to easily get the wires across to these after the poptop has been fitted.

For info the electrics are likely to be installed in a unit in the kitchen layout behind the driver

Thanks in advance

There is usually a void in the beam they put in along each side of the roof. At the back of the van will be a ceiling panel. On mine, I fixed that with hidden clips, and it is carpeted separately from the rest of the vehicle frame, so it could be pulled out a little to access cables. (Wardrobe will stop it coming out completely). You could also ask the converter to put some empty conduit and a draw cable from the B pillar right the way to the D pillar at the back.

In my old van I retrofitted a camera cable down the van roof beam by poking rods through. Possible, but very frustrating job.

Thanks @drinfinity makes sense. I will ask for a conduit - maybe one down each side at the top?

We arent having a wardrobe - just low level units, overhead down the drivers side, and one overhead rear for speakers and reading lights. See photo.

van inner.JPG

You could also ask the converter to put some empty conduit and a draw cable from the B pillar right the way to the D pillar at the back.
I +1 this idea.... I've had to do a lot of retrofitting of electrics to my van to add additional USB, lighting, solar etc... it's been a pain because the original conversion wasn't forewards thinking about adding cable runs in the future. When I've done self-builds I've always "future-proofed" them as much as possible and a big part of that is cable runs.

I wish I'd given this a little more consideration since I've just had my pop top fitted. Ironically I was actually talked out of them running the conduit I'd supplied by one of the installers :D
That said I had planned to run a lot of my cables along the back of the kitchen, and attached to the underside of the rear seats for runs going across the van.

Back