Roof Tent / Box Tent.

GONA66

CARAVELLE
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Has anybody ever actually fitted and used a Roof Tent or Box that opens up into a sleeping area on the roof ?

Looking for suggestions ,advice , pic's etc . I've trawled the existing searches on here, but nothing to really answer my thoughts.

Had a few.. we preferred the Airtop and Maggiolina pop-ups from Autohome to the fold over types as they are much less hassle to setup and take down. The airtop ones have 4 gas struts and you just undo the straps and push it up. Mattress and bedding stays up there.

see: Airtop range

379EC39E-ACF5-45D8-923C-21489D202793.jpegB23AF000-C0D5-4E90-8CBF-17630BFD0985.jpegE7F185B2-DEC4-42E5-BC61-A14CA48BB6CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anybody ever actually fitted and used a Roof Tent or Box that opens up into a sleeping area on the roof ?

Looking for suggestions ,advice , pic's etc . I've trawled the existing searches on here, but nothing to really answer my thoughts.
Try contacting Dirty Weekender in Worcester. They are agents for James Barroud roof tents and VW conversion experts to boot.

Yeah would be interested to know what roof bars people use to attach them. What is the weight limit for the roof bars? Seen a few roof bars where it says max weight around 50kgs so no good for sleeping up there let alone the weight of the tent itself?

Yeah would be interested to know what roof bars people use to attach them. What is the weight limit for the roof bars? Seen a few roof bars where it says max weight around 50kgs so no good for sleeping up there let alone the weight of the tent itself?
The weight limit would be my concern too

I suspect that the roof weight limits are more to do with the centre of gravity when the van is moving. Not if you’re up there with the van parked.

@DannyPearson had one on a T6.1 at T6F Summer camp last year.

yes that is him driving through the campsite with the roof up - LOL..

1648193748749.png1648193807653.png

mixed reviews according to him.

got very hot up there in summer time,

small space for two people,

agro climbing down for a pee in the night,

defo dangerous climbing down after to many beers round the camp fire.

Last edited:
I was parked up overnight next to a smart looking Land Rover which had a roof tent.

2 am got woken by the occupants climbing out of the tent in the wind and rain, getting soaking wet as they climbed down the ladder and ended up sleeping in the back of the Landy!

Thanks guys for all the feedback ,looks like we will be sticking with the Awning .:thumbsup:........until you see me with a box on the roof !! :laugh:.

Last edited:
I suspect that the roof weight limits are more to do with the centre of gravity when the van is moving. Not if you’re up there with the van parked.
So no sleeping up there on the move even if you take turns in driving…… pffftt!!

View attachment 150555
Is this what people mean by roof top tent? . This was when we decided go move camping pitch, go to a better spot and it was just easier to move the tent like this.
That looks like @DaveyB roof when he had all those problems ;)

I was parked up overnight next to a smart looking Land Rover which had a roof tent.

2 am got woken by the occupants climbing out of the tent in the wind and rain, getting soaking wet as they climbed down the ladder and ended up sleeping in the back of the Landy!
Yes had a similar situation in mine you need good wether and sheltered from wind, was in cornwall on a hill campsite wind rain, and I was drunk and had to pee, the ladder hurts you’re bare feet

Pro’s
Extra space
Super comfortable as mine comes with memory foam mattress, and it has plenty of vents and insulation,

Cons
Putting it on is a faff, be careful not to scratch the roof i use the plastic protection sheets from Screwfix and a blanket works well

In summer if you go to sleep at 3 am and you want a lay in, as soon as the sun hits it it becomes an oven, I’ll throw a reflective sheet over next time

Storage it’s big I mounted mine down the side of my house wrapped in a sheet

Handling

The weight on the top is a lot you can’t drive like a t**t, as it becomes top heavy even with bilstien race shocks

Flappy

Some times when doing high speeds as I don’t hang about the awning sheets come out and flap about and t
You have to stop and tuck them back in, fine if you drive at the speed limit, you can’t cruise at 140 (if you’re going on autobarn!!!! Lol)

I put it on last summer was on roof for a month, my can was lowered too much and the extra weight and handling gave increased wear on the rear tyres inner track, bald as!!!

We have a roof tent on our T6.
Wife and I sleep inside on a full width rock and roll bed from Titan Beds.
Mounted on the roof we have an AutoHome Air Camping roof tent to give our daughter her own space. She loves it.
Bought second hand on Gumtree
Air-Camping
Infinitely better quality than the lightweight versions that are widely available and very simple and quick to put up. Take off cover, pull out ladder and flip tent into place. Job done..
Mounted on Van Guard Ulti Bars.

20210330_160042[1].jpg

20210707_083136[1].jpg

Back