Sold Roof rails - new. Delivery miles T6.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know to fit these properly then extra holes would need to be drilled in the van, however would there be a problem with just fitting them using the holes that are already in a standard van that came without these?

I have fitted them (T6, SWB) and have a solar panel and roof bars fitted to them. The only extra hole I drilled was for the back end plastic piece. There is only a small space below the roof skin so initially I fixed it with a very short self tapping bolt, I’ve since fitted a rivet nut. (You don’t actually need the plastic bit, I only initially fitted it to look right. I’ve taken it off and modded the rails to fit the roof bars since) There are rubber inserts that fit under the rails at the fixing points to seal everything up (looks like they are in the plastic bag in the first pic?)

B69486FB-2350-4594-9397-502F8682A36A.jpegEBFEEFE1-4963-4A07-8D8A-A70343176569.jpeg

Yeah - the plastic inserts are there.

I was thinking that they maybe could have been fitted without VW drilling all of the additional holes in the factory - I now have to buy blanking bolts to seal up those holes!
I guess it might be an engineer at VW who has come up with a calculation that the additional holes are required if someone was placing say a large roof box on there van travelling at 120 on the autobahn…….

Depends really what you want to do with them I guess

Yeah - the plastic inserts are there.

I was thinking that they maybe could have been fitted without VW drilling all of the additional holes in the factory - I now have to buy blanking bolts to seal up those holes!
I guess it might be an engineer at VW who has come up with a calculation that the additional holes are required if someone was placing say a large roof box on there van travelling at 120 on the autobahn…….

Depends really what you want to do with them I guess
Strange as you can put a roof box on the roof rails and cross bars with the less holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back