Roof rails for a ‘poptoproofs’ pop top

CliveL

Hi all, I’m a new member having been directed here to get an answer to my roof rail issue so I hope I’m getting all this right!
I’m looking to carry a paddle board & surf board on my pop top roof and can’t find a conversation covered previously on this specific roof.
I have been told that using the existing holes for the gas struts will be the strongest and to limit the amount of weight etc. The company themselves do not have a roof rail model or recommend anyone so hoping someone has an answer out there or some experience?
I have a fitter who will do them for me so will be having them professionally fitted, just need a model to get going. Thanks!!
(this is my actual van to show set up)
9CC431AE-7B34-470A-B9E0-74C2F92DEB32.png5D91683B-96FF-49A3-9B6C-3DC6A18BEB62.png

What’s the maximum weight the pop top roof manufacturer recommends - not many people put that much weight up there.

Pete

What’s the maximum weight the pop top roof manufacturer recommends - not many people put that much weight up there.

Pete
They don’t really say. Pretty non committal to be honest. I’ve just been in Cornwall and Devon and seen loads of boards, roof boxes and boards and boxes on. Surf board doesn’t weigh much at all, was thinking of weighing the paddle board.

You really need to know whether the roof is capable of carrying any weight. Not all are. You also need to be wary of the actual rails you fit as again not all are able to take a load. We have the Reimo Active Rail system which seems to doing a good job. It's bonded and bolted to the roof.

Thanks for your reply btw Pete,
I have been meaning to do this for a while, so your reply has prompted me to do this!
surfboard 17 lb - 7.7 kg
Paddle board 31 lb - 14.1 kg

Combined 48 lb - 21.8 kg
Plus the roof system still comes in quite a bit less than some other manufacturers guarantee?

You really need to know whether the roof is capable of carrying any weight. Not all are. You also need to be wary of the actual rails you fit as again not all are able to take a load. We have the Reimo Active Rail system which seems to doing a good job. It's bonded and bolted to the roof.
Thanks Mike,

I have been on to the manufacturer and their best advice was to come on here to get the answer. Not a massive help I know! I wrongly assumed that they all could carry some weight before it was fitted as I had seen so many carrying various items and addressed the roof system thing after. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I have seen some rails stating that they are aesthetic only. I was hoping that someone might have the same roof and come up with a solution.

Thanks Mike,

I have been on to the manufacturer and their best advice was to come on here to get the answer. Not a massive help I know! I wrongly assumed that they all could carry some weight before it was fitted as I had seen so many carrying various items and addressed the roof system thing after. ‍♂ I have seen some rails stating that they are aesthetic only. I was hoping that someone might have the same roof and come up with a solution.
That was not the symbol I put on when I posted it! Ha!

I have been on to the manufacturer and their best advice was to come on here to get the answer. Not a massive help I know!

Wow!

A couple of years ago one of the VW comics did an article on various roofs and load ratings. There are two main ones dedicated to the "scene" - VW Bus is one and I can't recall the other one I used to buy. I generally recycle these after a few months, so don't have it anymore. Perhaps there is someone who does keep them who could remember what I'm on about.

Back