Roof Rail Removal

Kev23

QA Engineer
T6 Guru
Anyone removed the OEM rails from their T6? is there a blanking kit you need to buy after removal?

Do you mean the raised tube rails or the slotted roof rack prep which sits in the gutter?
I have removed the latter roof rack prep, you just need the replacement bolts that sit in the gutter.
They come with washers but are notorious for leaking so a bit of PTFE tape or sealant is useful.

The bolts etc that hold the roof rails on will blank the holes. However I would use silicon seal to stop them leaking. No need to order more fittings.

i mean the rails from front to back, think they sit in the gutter bit. Is there not a plastic part you can buy to sit the gutter flush, same as cars?

i mean the rails from front to back, think they sit in the gutter bit. Is there not a plastic part you can buy to sit the gutter flush, same as cars?
There is a roof rack prep which does sit in the gutter. Its an alumnium rail which provides a slot to attach roof bars.
The only thing you need to do when you take the raised rails off is fit bolts in the holes and seal them up.

I think it would be possible to fit the roof rack prep without drilling the roof, the strength is in the mounting screws that bolt to the roof anchor bolts. The screws at the end are cosmetic and you could perhaps do without them or use 3M tape or Sika.
The photo on the left shows the screw holes, the cross bars can't be fitted here and the rear part is plastic so stuck on would be fine.

View attachment 58286 View attachment 58287

Photos of the roof rack prep rails, these are mine for a LWB and are for sale

All you need to do is get the blanking bolts and rubber washers. You most likely have one in place already on either side as there are 4 holes in each roof gutter and the rails only attach to 3 of them. See the picture below. If you use original ones with a rubber washer under each one you won’t need to use sealant or anything else:

CFAF408A-C634-4DA1-A3CA-CB63F55639F2.jpeg

Back