Roof bars on Caravelle

johndub

Hi all
I bought a second hand set of omtech roof rails for my caravelle.

Now, you guys probably know (but I didn’t) that the caravelle has a set of factory fitted roof rails.

Does a fitting kit exist to allow the rails to fit onto the existing rails? Then I don’t lose the oem functionality, but I get the look of the rails, which I prefer.

My MY21 T6.1 Caravelle SE didn't come with any rails or preparation, just the plain roof bolts.

By the sounds of it you have the Roof Bar Preparation which is a track pre mounted in the roof gutter like this:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

Those need a specific kind of cross bar, not the generally available rails that fit the 4 (SWB) or 5 (LWB) bolt rails.

See also this thread

Yep that's what I have.

I am hoping to find a way to attach more traditional roof rails to them, more for aesthetics than functionality.

I would remove them, but looking underneath them this afternoon, it became apparent that they have rubbed through the paint at a couple of spota that I'll need to deal with, but also I'm not keen on trying to waterproof the remaining 4 bolt holes each side

There is a good thread on waterproofing the bolt holes that I followed when mounting the awning rail on mine, and you are right to be cautious as leaks here run down inside the body it's not a brilliant design to be honest.

Back