RGB LED strip lights power supply

Corgs

Hi all,
Been on here a while but think this is my first post.

I want to install some colour changing LED’s into a halo roof am a bit unsure whether I need a regulator or not.
I’m going to wire them into the interior lights as don’t have a leisure battery- so they act in the same way as the courtesy lights.
I know the voltage alters whilst engine running/starting etc, so would I need to add a regulator to the supply to keep the voltage steady at 12v?
On the controller pictured below it says +5v-24v- does this mean they will tolerate the voltage fluctuation ok?
Thanks in advance

0EEA0EF6-5E50-4340-9F57-D1CB7764841D.jpeg

Hi Corgs, I know this was around 2 years ago but did you sort your LED light strip? Did you need a regulator in the end? I am just at this point now and deciding what I need LED-wise. Thanks.

@timrobbo

The members name you just asked was last on here some time ago...

1680532280386.png

It may be a while before they answer :cool:

If you hover over his/her/they/them's name, it will usually tell you this info :thumbsup:

Hi Corgs, I know this was around 2 years ago but did you sort your LED light strip? Did you need a regulator in the end? I am just at this point now and deciding what I need LED-wise. Thanks.
Hi Tim.

The easiest way to get a 5V supply is to buy a 'cigarette lighter' USB adapter and if your lights have a USB connector (male) use that.
It doesn't have to go into / use an outlet, you can pull the dash top outlet out and take the supply off that, cutting and crimping a connector to take the supply off. You can also buy the cigarette lighter female connectors from Halfords for example, and just pop it all in a box inside your dash.

Thanks @DaveCrampton. I’m using a 12v RGBWW strip from the Leisure battery but was worried about the unregulated 12v supply i.e. 11.8v up to 14.8v when being charged. I didn’t want to overload or damage the LED strip.

@DaveCrampton that’s perfect. I’ve one company trying to sell me a voltage regulator at £64.68 and another saying it’s not necessary and that the LED strips are designed to work in that voltage range. I think I’ll be safe on this occasion and get what you have suggested. Thanks for your help.

Back