Replacing the filler cap spring

oscar_van

I need to replace the filler cap spring on our T6. Is it just a case of wrestling the old one out by pulling the left-hand side, then shoving the new one in the same way, or do I need to do some disassembly of the door mechanism first? May well be the former as I'm always scared of breaking things by just wrenching on them, but it seemed quite reluctant when I tried just pulling.

IMG_0800.jpeg

Update for completeness: I didn't manage to get the old one out, but yanking on it with a pair of pliers seems to have battered it into submission and the flap now opens and closes correctly anyway. Sorry to anyone who finds this thread in future and needs a better solution!

I have tackled this issue today (with a little more care than a yank lol) as my fuel flap did not sit flush anymore.
I watched a youtube video and three torx head screws later the flap was off which gave me my opportunity to replace the spring.

Now this is my issue....

I've replaced the spring and the cover also has the little rubber "door stop thingy" and yet it still doesn't sit flush.
The spring doesn't seem to have changed anything and the rubber door stop doesn't even touch the door!

1701436420962.png1701436451623.png1701436512805.png

Does anyone have a fix for this or experienced the same problem?

Darkesy.

Hi Darkesy,
I have tackled this issue today (with a little more care than a yank lol) as my fuel flap did not sit flush anymore.
I watched a youtube video and three torx head screws later the flap was off which gave me my opportunity to replace the spring.

Now this is my issue....

I've replaced the spring and the cover also has the little rubber "door stop thingy" and yet it still doesn't sit flush.
The spring doesn't seem to have changed anything and the rubber door stop doesn't even touch the door!

View attachment 221436View attachment 221437View attachment 221438

Does anyone have a fix for this or experienced the same problem?

Darkesy.
Hi Darkesy, did you resolve this afterwards? I've just googled replacing the spring after buying one thinking it would solve what appears to be a similar issue to yours.

Back