replacement springs - T30 '14 T5

stillfirm

Hi peeps, I'm new to the forum but have been a reader for quite a while. if that makes sense. I've been through many existing posts on this to try and get a feel but I finally succumbed to asking the specific question.

My kombi (14 plate T30, SWB, highline + sportline) is in at VW for a scheduled major service. I would normally use an indy for other work, the service is part of a service pack.

My front left spring turns out to be broken. They went and fitted a replacement part (which I agreed to) without first checking/realising that as a Sportline is would have factory lowered suspension and needed a non standard part. I have low levels of trust in the dealership due to some historic failures and this just about takes the biscuit.

Anyway, I need to make a decision whether to replace just one spring, or all of them. If i did the latter I'd take it somewhere else with a lower labour rate.

I've read in other threads the current replacement for the sportline 30mm lowered springs are an equivalent from a caravelle - which I understand are actually a different spring. I'd have to buy all 4, which make me think about getting something that takes the stand down further as it still feels like theres a ton of wheel arch (still have the 18" sportline alloys) therefore would consider upgrading to 40 or 50mm drop all round.

I have no intention of converting the van, and rarely carry anything desperately heavy.

so:
1) is the info about the actual replacement spring the case? would I end up with something wonky/odd ride if I just replace one spring?
2) what would be an appropriate and not setting the bank on fire option for full replacement? I dont want to buy a full set of replacement springs if I am as well to get something decent.
3) Now my van is presumably undriveable (they already put the replacement (non lowered) part on and I am guessing won't want to put my old broken one back on). do you think I am within my rights to argue for them to low-load it somewhere else locally to carry out the work? or meet another quote?

any thoughts gratefully received....

cheers
Phil

2017-04-19_19-21-24_722.jpeg

Do you have the part number of the replacement spring on the receipt to see what it actually is?

If they have fitted a standard spring, which is longer and possibly a different spring rate, I think it is completely out of order and unsafe. The different length spring will be causing an imbalance in ‘bounce‘ between each side and the loading on each wheel, not just the wheel changed. It will be like a wobbly four legged chair.

Indeed - they’ve not billed me yet and this was the exact issue that led to their dawning realisation. The part number they’ve given me for me to look up (and what they’re talking about fitting) is the one I’m seeing referenced in discussions about a caravelle ZGB7H0071677A

The other thought, OEM springs usually have different coloured paint markings - if you have the van back look at the original spring for the paint markings and compare to the new one.

They should have fitted a direct replacement. Anything less I would be querying safety issues. A decent full set of springs won’t cost much and fairly easy (ish) to fit! Just don’t go too low as the ride can be harsh

Hi peeps, I'm new to the forum but have been a reader for quite a while. if that makes sense. I've been through many existing posts on this to try and get a feel but I finally succumbed to asking the specific question.

My kombi (14 plate T30, SWB, highline + sportline) is in at VW for a scheduled major service. I would normally use an indy for other work, the service is part of a service pack.

My front left spring turns out to be broken. They went and fitted a replacement part (which I agreed to) without first checking/realising that as a Sportline is would have factory lowered suspension and needed a non standard part. I have low levels of trust in the dealership due to some historic failures and this just about takes the biscuit.

Anyway, I need to make a decision whether to replace just one spring, or all of them. If i did the latter I'd take it somewhere else with a lower labour rate.

I've read in other threads the current replacement for the sportline 30mm lowered springs are an equivalent from a caravelle - which I understand are actually a different spring. I'd have to buy all 4, which make me think about getting something that takes the stand down further as it still feels like theres a ton of wheel arch (still have the 18" sportline alloys) therefore would consider upgrading to 40 or 50mm drop all round.

I have no intention of converting the van, and rarely carry anything desperately heavy.

so:
1) is the info about the actual replacement spring the case? would I end up with something wonky/odd ride if I just replace one spring?
2) what would be an appropriate and not setting the bank on fire option for full replacement? I dont want to buy a full set of replacement springs if I am as well to get something decent.
3) Now my van is presumably undriveable (they already put the replacement (non lowered) part on and I am guessing won't want to put my old broken one back on). do you think I am within my rights to argue for them to low-load it somewhere else locally to carry out the work? or meet another quote?

any thoughts gratefully received....

cheers
Phil

View attachment 80966
Hi Phil, shame to hear that yet another dealer has made an error on another van, but to answer your questions specifically:
1) I don't know the answer to the part number question, but the advice above is good. See if you can check the identification colour markings on the other front spring, that will help someone on here give you the correct part number.
2) This depends on what you consider to be not setting the bank on fire. There are many options, but recommendations would depend on your budget.
3) You shouldn't be sorting/paying for the remedial work. The dealer has fitted an incorrect part and it is their responsibility to fit the correct one. They should be able to identify the original springs correctly and fit the correct replacement. I would be pushing them to do exactly that, but you're right to query the part number if you doubt their competence.

Hi Phil,

I assume this got sorted? I have a T5.1 2014, (T32) low mileage. I removed the eibach sportline springs and had the full Koni adjustable coilovers fitted. It cost me about £1400 i seem to recall.

That said, it does mean i have 4 eibach VW supplied sportline springs available (with the struts if you wanted them). I'm not sure money wise but sure we could come to something that works for both of us.
The mileage on the Van when they were removed was just 53k.

I've come to loath dealing with main dealers! They just want to sell you a new car/van and anything else is a hassle.

Good luck either way. Keep the thread updated on what you decided to do.
:)

Not quite sorted yet, trying to find someone locally who’ll entertain fitting springs that would lower further than the factory -30mm.

Do the koni’s allow you to set different ride heights or adjust the ride?

They sure do.
Not like i can change them every day or anything, as its a bit "invovled" to change the ride height. However they are just the setup from the guys at CRS.

This is a useful link to a good introduction to them, on this forum:

Lots of happy customers. Including me.

cheers. I was watching some vids by Transporter HQ last night which were good for this stuff too. I quite like the idea of going 50mm H+R with some comfort struts while I'm there as lets face it the ride on these things is never "nice". dont think I can bring myself to get into 1500-2000 quids worth+ of work right now - my everyday car gets the lions share of that and that's eye watering enough

Back