Removing Sliding Door (and The Front) External Door Handles

scotia

Mechanical engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
hello all,

managed to get my hands on some colour co-ordinated ones - orignal vw..

i think i know how to get the front door ones off but no idea really for the sliding door one?

cant find anything on the forum or google - anyone able to help?!

thanks in advance

here you go: @scotia

(Door - take the cylinder out first, then you can remove the handle.)

Removing and installing lock cylinder

Special tools and workshop equipment required
t Socket wrench TORX T20 -T10072-
Lever cap -1- out of opening.
Pull door handle -1- in -direction of arrow-.
– Loosen bolt -2- (do not unscrew completely) while pushing onto socket wrench TORX T20 -T 10072-.
When loosening bolt -2-, the catch for lock cylinder -3- is released.
– Pull lock cylinder -3- at right angles out of mounting bracket.

l3.JPG

l4.JPG

**************************************************************************************************************
Removing door handle:

Removing
Remove lock cylinder → Chapter.
– Release clip -1- from door handle -2-.
– Swing door handle -2- out of door.

l1.JPG

l2.JPG

Reactions: mmi
here you go: @scotia

sliding door - Removing and installing lock cylinder and outer door handle

Special tools and workshop equipment required
t Socket -T10072
Removing
– Remove lower sliding door trim →General body repairs, interior; Rep. gr.70.
– Loosen bolt -1- (do not unscrew completely) on mounting bracket -2- using socket wrench TORX T20 -T 10072-.
– Pull lock cylinder -2- at right angles out of mounting bracket of door handle.
– Swing door handle -1- out of door.

Installing
Install in reverse order, but note the following:
– Insert door handle -2- from outside into mounting bracket.
– Push opening mechanism -arrow- back when doing this.
Then check function with sliding door open

l5.JPG l6.JPG

Hello @Dellmassive - thanks alot for these instructions..

i got the two front ones done 5 mins flat.

im stuck on the sliding door however - i can get the 'lock cylinder' out but when i try to swing the handle out it doesnt budge... i got a bit worried earlier as it started raining and i was totally stuck with the handle hanging out but refusing to swing out! its weird it feels like alot of resistance whereas the others came out real smoothly.

we have power latching - this obscures the view so much that getting to the opening mechanism to push back is tricky :-( But i was wondering whether there is anything different with regards to this? shouldnt be really?

any help, would be great, thanks.

Edit I'm not sure the power latching changes anything..the power latching is the other end of the door no?!

Last edited:
Hey @Loz when you get a chance can you see if you have a different diagram than I have listed above ? Not sure if I've missed anything to help him get his handles out.?

Hello @Dellmassive - thanks alot for these instructions..

i got the two front ones done 5 mins flat.

im stuck on the sliding door however - i can get the 'lock cylinder' out but when i try to swing the handle out it doesnt budge... i got a bit worried earlier as it started raining and i was totally stuck with the handle hanging out but refusing to swing out! its weird it feels like alot of resistance whereas the others came out real smoothly.

we have power latching - this obscures the view so much that getting to the opening mechanism to push back is tricky :-( But i was wondering whether there is anything different with regards to this? shouldnt be really?

any help, would be great, thanks.

Edit I'm not sure the power latching changes anything..the power latching is the other end of the door no?!
I have a faint memory (from a T5 but looks the same on T6) that the handle needed a little push/knock sideways (about 1cm) before it comes out.
upload_2018-11-28_9-37-28.png

^^ thats what i tried - the others worked just fine and it felt right.. the sliding door moved, then stopped hard against sth.. i dint want to force, but i ended up trying a bit out of desperation.. didnt break anything :) will try again when its dry so i dont have to panic!

ok i tried again and got to the same point.. the long arm at the rear is disengaged and there is about 5-6mm of movement at the 'front' of the handle..but it will not come out whatever i do.. :-( its kind of like there is a little catch that i need to release before it'll come out. doesnt make sense as on the replacement there is nothing special..

if all else fails i'll try to swing by the garage fri am and see if they'll help...its a 1 min job..

i dont know what it is, but the big black structure held in place by 3 screws which sits infront of the handle is really obscuring things..

does everyone have this?

Had another look at another source data:

Note
Removal and installation are described only for the right side. The
removal and installation procedure for the left-hand side is basi‐
cally the same.

Removing
– Remove lower sliding door trim ⇒ General body repairs, inte‐
rior; Rep. gr. 70 ; Rear door trims; Removing and installing
rear door trim .

– Loosen bolt -1- (do not unscrew completely) on mounting
bracket -2- using socket wrench TORX T20 - T 10072- .

– Pull lock cylinder -2- at right angles out of mounting bracket of
door handle.

– Swing door handle -1- out of door.

Installing
Install in reverse order of removal, observing the following:

1.jpg

Removing and installing door handle
bracket

Removing
– Remove lock cylinder and exterior door handle ⇒ page 117 .
– Remove water collector ⇒ page 95 .
– Unscrew bolt -2- from mounting bracket -1-.
– Remove mounting bracket -1- from inside from sliding door.
Installing
Install in reverse order of removal, observing the following:
Specified torques
Component Specified torque
Mounting bracket 3 Nm

2.JPG

2.JPG

ok thanks alot @Dellmassive - seems that the bit im stuck with is just the 'swing out door handle out of the door'!

cant for the life of me see why.. :-( i'll speak to my garage and see if they'd be ok to show me.. (in switzerland...this might not pass..:))

Glad I found this, does anyone know if there's any adjustment that can be made at the hinge end of the handle (see pic).
My sliding door handle has become a bit loose, everything I can see from inside seems fine so I can't see if dismantling it will give me any options to tighten anything up?

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 15.40.15.png

Back