Removing Seat Locking Bracket

Whiz

Meet BANKSY - There is always "Hope"
T6 Guru
How do I remove this bracket which locks the seats in place on my shuttle?

It would appearthe 2 small circles in Black are holding the Bracket in place - it is made of steel and there is nothing to get hold of ... Does it unscrew?
View media item 1530Any advice appreciated

Last edited:
You need to get under the van, remove all of the underbody muck shields and exhaust heat shields; then you can unbolt as that is where the nut is located @Bluey

You need to get under the van, remove all of the underbody muck shields and exhaust heat shields; then you can unbolt as that is where the nut is located @Bluey
Thanks for quick reply @DaveyB .
Damn that sounds like a mega job... Do you think it can be done with "wheels on wooden blocks" so I can get underneath? Also do you need a special tools? Sorry I am a novice but willing to try!

Thanks again for quick clear reply. Paul

Thanks for quick reply @DaveyB .
Damn that sounds like a mega job... Do you think it can be done with "wheels on wooden blocks" so I can get underneath? Also do you need a special tools? Sorry I am a novice but willing to try!

Thanks again for quick clear reply. Paul
The way I have worked on the underside of my van was to put to wheels up on the kerb, then drive them up on levelling blocks. This just gives a couple of extra inches to help slide under the van in the gutter (be wise to put some boards down on the road so you don’t get filthy).
There are a number of 8 or 10mm hex bolts (cant’t remember which) as well as some circular clips that hold all of the trims in place. The circular things can be wound off the screw threads upon which they are located, with a flathead screwdriver.

The way I have worked on the underside of my van was to put to wheels up on the kerb, then drive them up on levelling blocks. This just gives a couple of extra inches to help slide under the van in the gutter (be wise to put some boards down on the road so you don’t get filthy).
There are a number of 8 or 10mm hex bolts (cant’t remember which) as well as some circular clips that hold all of the trims in place. The circular things can be wound off the screw threads upon which they are located, with a flathead screwdriver.
Ok I will have look tomorrow and see whether I am up for it thank you @DaveyB ... watch this space!

Ok I will have look tomorrow and see whether I am up for it thank you @DaveyB ... watch this space!
Just a quick follow up. As I am only needing to rake a few of these out. A mate suggested I drill the big round disc x 2 and then the base plate bracket could be removed. However does anyone know if the bolt through the chassis is threaded I. E. so won't fall out or not and therefore will drop straight on to dust/muck cover and heat shield?
@DaveyB roughly how long to remove the muck/dust cover for a novice?

Thanks all in anticipation.

Paul

Just a quick follow up. As I am only needing to rake a few of these out. A mate suggested I drill the big round disc x 2 and then the base plate bracket could be removed. However does anyone know if the bolt through the chassis is threaded I. E. so won't fall out or not and therefore will drop straight on to dust/muck cover and heat shield?
@DaveyB roughly how long to remove the muck/dust cover for a novice?

Thanks all in anticipation.

Paul

I wouldnt recommend this to avoid just removing the undertray.
Maybe ask a local garage to lift the van for you to be able to remove the bolts.

I wouldnt recommend this to avoid just removing the undertray.
Maybe ask a local garage to lift the van for you to be able to remove the bolts.
Appreciate not the ideal, however will the bolts fall through or are they threaded - just so I know. Thaks @Fish. Cheers.Paul

Quick update I have removed these covers so far.20180414_131106.jpg
appears I now need to remove the main cover shown in this photo below20180414_125656.jpg
To get access to this nut .... which appears to be the correct bolt

20180414_130637.jpg

Any guidance would really be appreciated from anyone. @DaveyB @Fish thanks so far any thoughts.

The novice is trying VERY I know. Cheers Paul

AFAIK you have to lower the tank to be able to access some bolts
Which ones are you trying to remove?.

AFAIK you have to lower the tank to be able to access some bolts
Which ones are you trying to remove?.
On my 9 seater Shuttle it is the middle row of seats have been taken out and now want to "remove Seat Locking Brackets in the floor in the middle row". Hope that makes sense.

Is the Tank connected to anything when I do lower it? Just to be clear is that what I took a photo of above?

Thanks @Fish for coming back to me ... Cheers Paul

Hi @Bluey, sorry for the late response but been at the sailing club teaching a rescue boat course all day.
Like Fish i’d not personally go down the drilling route. If you were to drill it the bolt thread would drop out, as it is not like a screw thread that cuts into the metal work.
As to getting to the nuts above the tank, sorry, i’ve never dropped the tank so don’t know how easy or otherwise it would be to do. How much fuel you got in the tank? You may be able to rest it on something that allows it to drop just a couple of inches to get a ratchet in above?

@Bluey here’s some guidance you might find useful http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=115824 ..... yes I know wrong forum but every little helps. Please take lots pics @Bluey and add how to on here..
Wow, that is a brilliant link. Really helpful to read the detail and clearly I started on the petrol Tank side - der!!! I am learning so much and thanks for taking the time to reply. Welld done on the Training for a rescue boat - that is a great thing to do. Cheers again, Paul

Hi @Bluey, sorry for the late response but been at the sailing club teaching a rescue boat course all day.
Like Fish i’d not personally go down the drilling route. If you were to drill it the bolt thread would drop out, as it is not like a screw thread that cuts into the metal work.
As to getting to the nuts above the tank, sorry, i’ve never dropped the tank so don’t know how easy or otherwise it would be to do. How much fuel you got in the tank? You may be able to rest it on something that allows it to drop just a couple of inches to get a ratchet in above?

Thank you @DaveyB for the advice again and now I know that the bolts will drop - drilling is off the aganeda now. I have 3/4 tank so will run it empty before doing this. My Van is going in to have the Leisure Battery and the Electrics installed so I am going to have a chat with the garage and see if we can work something out - I will remove all the covers and get them to do the bit around the fuel tank etc which should keep the costs down. I am more than willing to have a go - but I think I do not have the experience to do this on my own and cock it up which could costs me £100s of pounds - I will keep you all informed.

Thanks to everyone for their advice - this Forum is the best ever and on this thread @DaveyB @Fish and @sofakingwrong your advice in invaluable - I hope one day I can buy you a beer! Have a good evening all. Cheers Bluey

@Bluey If your getting leisure batt/ conversion and getting them to drop your tank might be worth consider diesel night heater feed fitted at same time save you getting it dropped again and a few ££

Thank you @DaveyB for the advice again and now I know that the bolts will drop - drilling is off the aganeda now. I have 3/4 tank so will run it empty before doing this. My Van is going in to have the Leisure Battery and the Electrics installed so I am going to have a chat with the garage and see if we can work something out - I will remove all the covers and get them to do the bit around the fuel tank etc which should keep the costs down. I am more than willing to have a go - but I think I do not have the experience to do this on my own and cock it up which could costs me £100s of pounds - I will keep you all informed.

Thanks to everyone for their advice - this Forum is the best ever and on this thread @DaveyB @Fish and @sofakingwrong your advice in invaluable - I hope one day I can buy you a beer! Have a good evening all. Cheers Bluey
Another option. Pop round to my house drain your tank into mine, as mine is literally dry, you’ll then be able to easily drop your tank and get hold of the nuts, and i’ll take really good care of your fuel. :whistle:

Another option. Pop round to my house drain your tank into mine, as mine is literally dry, you’ll then be able to easily drop your tank and get hold of the nuts, and i’ll take really good care of your fuel. :whistle:
Oh you have a heart of gold:smile bounce: thanks again @DaveyB

@Bluey If your getting leisure batt/ conversion and getting them to drop your tank might be worth consider diesel night heater feed fitted at same time save you getting it dropped again and a few ££
I wish I could afford it ..... but not this summer .... the Mrs budget I am told does not allow this .... but the hol in Ibiza is ok for her!

Back