Removable Roof Rails

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’m still 50/50 about whether to keep my van long term as I originally planned, or chop it in for something bigger next year as I’m starting to come up against the limitations of 5m x 2m van.
I’m looking at options to increase storage and have considered, and rejected, a rear storage box on a bike rack (just don’t like them), but am thinking that a roof box may be the answer for those times I need extra storage and can live with the compromise of being over 2m high.

However, I need to be able to quickly and easily remove anything that would take me over 2m high so my question is, is there any way of temporarily, but securely, mounting a roof box onto the roof without having permanently attached roof bars?
My van has a poptop and is lowered as far as I can practically go for a camper (about 55mm on B14s) resulting in a current height of 1.98m so I only have 2cm to play with for any permanently attached fittings.

Could you not get bespoke custom brackets fabricated to suit a quick realese system?.

Or.
Ebay Item#

Thanks I didn’t realise you could get roof boxes that didn’t need a roof rack fitting, but following that eBay link I see that they don’t. Not sure I could relax if it was held on by suction though.
Now I need to have a think what could actually go up in one and how I would rearrange the space in the van, though it’s just occurred to me I’d be covering up the solar panel...

Back