Rear windscreen vinyl residue / shadow

Huba

T6 Pro
Hi,

I wondered if someone might be able to help with an issue I have on my rear windscreen. In the past (first owner) there has been a large logo sticker / vinyl on the rear windscreen (tailgate) and in certain light conditions it is faintly visble. Has anyone got any ideas on how to remove this? It is similar to what painted body panels look like when vinyls have been on for years and years and then removed, when the uv has faded the bits that were not under the vinyl, but on glass. Its annoying.

So far tried brake cleaner, meths, white spirts, rainx cleaner, multiple goes with T cut.

My next try was going to be tar remover but thought would see if anyone had any better ideas

Thanks in advance

I’ve purchased some 0000 grade steel wool to try on the glass - I seem to have a limescale residue the prevents a clean wipe!

Just as an update to this, tried various things at weekend but on closer examination realised that what's actually happed is the decals have protected the glass from the rear wiper sweep, the sweep of the blade has created lots of very minor sweep marks, so the only solution would be to polish out all of these sweep marks on the whole rear window. So I guess its something I have to live with unless I spend serious money on a proper glass machine polish

Just as an update to this, tried various things at weekend but on closer examination realised that what's actually happed is the decals have protected the glass from the rear wiper sweep, the sweep of the blade has created lots of very minor sweep marks, so the only solution would be to polish out all of these sweep marks on the whole rear window. So I guess its something I have to live with unless I spend serious money on a proper glass machine polish
Thanks for posting your findings - useful info for stickered up vans!

Have you looked at aftermarket glass? Windows are not ‘that’ expensive though I know on the side windows the blacked out edges dont exactly match the OEM factory apertures.

It's surprising how easily a screen can be broken when parked near a golf course and a new screen replaced for free on insurance ahem. Cough cough

Or roads recently coated with surface dressing chippings - no one ever goes at 10mph! (A few years ago we saw a parked up car with the rear window smashed on a newly dressed road!)

It's surprising how easily a screen can be broken when parked near a golf course and a new screen replaced for free on insurance ahem. Cough cough
Free for repair (minor chips) but at least £40 excess for a replacement. Besides which, who do you think would be paying for such a fraudulent claim? [clue: you, me & everyone else]

Appreciate we're only talking hypothetically, but the fact that you're happy that your suggested fraudulent claim would result in higher premiums for everyone else speaks volumes about your character.

Appreciate we're only talking hypothetically, but the fact that you're happy that your suggested fraudulent claim would result in higher premiums for everyone else speaks volumes about your character.
Everything we post gives an insight into our character and others will form an opinion about us based on what we type.

I’m best to shut up now!

• Haha
Reactions: Bav
Hello Paynewright. My old Dad who was a collector of wristwatches passed on this info to me. Nothing annoyed him more than a scratched watch glass. He recommended " jewellers rouge " - to rectify light scratches. Presumably available to buy on the Internet but no idea of the cost ! Just a thought !! Good luck.....

I could start going down a very deep dark rabbit hole about additional costs but all I'll say is everyone is perfectly entitled to their opinion :)

Back