Rear Quarter Windows

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have a T6 SWB Kombi Highline on order - not expected until early May.

I'm looking for thoughts on installing rear 3/4 windows from this that have had it down and those that have considered them but decided against. I'm not looking for instal tips or recommendations but the advantages/disadvantages of having them.

My van will fulfil several functions: day to day vehicle for my business (I'm a photographer) and day to day transport for my wife and two dogs; location van for transporting me and my trade stand to events, and acting as my accommodation (and office working space) whilst I'm away at events; camper van for my wife, myself and our dogs for short trips.

I'm going pop top roof with bed for sure as I want to leave the downstairs relatively clear. Not really interested in hob or loads of cupboards but will want a fridge and some storage.

When I first started thinking about my needs and the conversion I was certain that I would go with rear 3/4 windows. But seeing vans that don't have them makes me question whether they are a good idea.

One of my thoughts was re-classifying the van as a pass vehicle and hence higher speed limits but I'm not sure the extent of the conversion work I have in mind will qualify it.

Please share your thoughts/opinions.

TIA

I have rear 3/4 windows in my T6 Kombi, but didn't have them in my T5. The overall feel of the van is totally different with windows in. It is much easier to drive as it gives you better visibility, but it also feels a bit less "cave like". That is both a positive and a negative thing.

The T5 (without windows) felt a bit more enclosed and protected, but the T6 feels more exposed and a bit colder in winter.

I actually prefer the more exposed feel of the windows as that's part of the point of camping etc.

I too am considering a pop-top, but wanted rear windows so I could use the rear load area as a seating / secondary bed area for when we go camping. I'd like to think that from time to time I will swivel the captains seats towards the back and just chill-out in the Van when it's raining and have a much better all round view.

I actually managed to get my rear windows fitted from factory (somehow??) and I'm glad I did. When it's all carpet lined and all finished inside it will definitely be a much better place to camp and it's already better for driving.

Hi , I had the rear quarters fitted this week I think it complements the kombi and once lined will look fantastic May concidering fitting van shades as they have a surround that you carpet line out and covers the recess around the windows.
I to have opted for a poptop having a Hilo fitted 25th of this month, just 15mm higher than the standard roof when closed so van looks standard pics of the new windows fitted can be found in team blackberrys show us your van thread :thumbsup:

not sure what they call it, but it's basically just after Kwik Fit in Banbury.

not sure what they call it, but it's basically just after Kwik Fit in Banbury.
That'll be Lower Cherwell Street then, opposite side of the road to Swan Ind Est, that'll be my proper sad topography knowledge, in that I recognised how the buildings are set out.

Think you better buy them rear quarter window mr b you know you want to ;)
Really like the look of your van. However have no need to have additional sunlight in the back. May go for the glazing over the rear quarter panel, but as with everything I'm totally brassic. Would love to put Pauly's side and tail soft close latching it it, but with twin sliders and tailgate, haven't a grand to do it.

Would love to put Pauly's side and tail soft close latching it it, but with twin sliders and tailgate, haven't a grand to do it.

i know the feeling, saw the post for auto latching and was like... awesome. Then saw the cost for dual sliders and rear tail gate and thought I might need to wait a while..... like a long long while :(

Sorry chaps i wish i could make them cheaper but that price is literally the material cost price to us plus 2 hours labour to put it together and make the wiring looms.

If anyone wants to do it in stages im happy to supply a single door kit thats already prepped for second door to be added later ??

Last edited:
Really like the look of your van. However have no need to have additional sunlight in the back. May go for the glazing over the rear quarter panel, but as with everything I'm totally brassic. Would love to put Pauly's side and tail soft close latching it it, but with twin sliders and tailgate, haven't a grand to do it.
Yeah just get a tinting firm to limo tint the dummy quarters before you fit, that's what I was going to do but changed me mind , ( that's not like me :)
I've allready got the power latching on the rear and will defo be getting the side door kit , I wanted twin sliders but I would of had to wait minimum 16weeks and Swiss had this in stock had everything I wanted except twin doors

Sorry chaps i wish i could make them cheaper but that price is literally the material cost price to us plus 2 hours labour to put it together and make the wiring looms.

If anyone wants to do it in stages im happy to supply a single door kit thats already prepped for second door to be added later ??
No criticism @Pauly, I know you will be passing them at cost price. I just wish I had the money to get them. No point for me buying it modularly as would have to keep pulling out all the lining to link them. :thumbsup:

Like Dave said, not a Critism at all Pauly, just don't have the funds to justify it. And with the van booked in for carpeting/ insulation and a few other bits and me going to the camping show to find an awning I just can't afford much else for a while

No worries chaps i didnt take it as criticism its just a shame the parts are so much more expensive than factory fitting, i only suggested that as a solution if there is one to funds.
Only other thing i can think of is if this is something you definitely want in the future i could supply looms to go in before lining ready for the main parts at a later date which would only require dropping a rear side panel each side to install the control module and motor ??

Like Dave said, not a Critism at all Pauly, just don't have the funds to justify it. And with the van booked in for carpeting/ insulation and a few other bits and me going to the camping show to find an awning I just can't afford much else for a while

Im heading there on 21st. Same reason.

Back