Rear light switch position query

BlayneKinley

T5.1
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Afternoon all,

I'm just after a little help from people who are further along with their conversions than I am.

I didn't know if to post this in the electrical section or the camper conversion but here goes.

My LED lights that will be installed over the rear of the van (As you open the barn doors / over bed locker area), I wish to have a CBE switch in the rear which can be accessed as you open the barn doors, just to give some light in the area. I have thought about this a little late as I could have tapped into the courtesy light circuit for this but pop top installed and carpet lined throughout.

I would like to put the CBE switch on the 'D' pillar or on the rear 1/4 panel as I have shown in the images. BUT... The advice I am after is;

1. Is there enough room within the 'D' pillar at head height for the back of the light switch to fit? Surface mounting it is fine but the rear of the switch will sit 13mm into the void + the cable spade connector on the back of it. Has anyone done this and has some images of it installed? I could mount the switch a lot lower on the 'D' pillar but head height seems more reasonable.

2. If I was to mount the light switch on the rear 1/4 panel I fear that my rock and roll bed will clash with the switch when its operated up and down? How close to the rear 1/4 panel does the R&R bed actually sit?

Image Inkedl1_L1 shows my ideal position but unsure if there is enough depth to the panel
Image Inkedl2_L1 shows switch position on rear 1/4 panel but I fear the R&R bed may clash with this

The switch position is not fixed so if there are any other solutions I would like to see them. In my mind I would like it on the passenger side of the van as it is the first door that you open on the barn door.

Many thanks all for any input and images you may have

NOTE: Any of you eagle eyed people - the rear 1/4 top panel is being cut out and a window placed in there so ply lining over the top of this and putting the switch there is a no go :)

InkedI1_LI.jpg

InkedI2_LI.jpg

Back