Rear brakes sticking ?

superflyguy

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've noticed the last couple of weeks during the colder weather, If my van is sat for more than a day, the rear brakes stick on ?
Does anyone else have the same problem, I normally have to just drive forward slowly and they will release.

Didn't get this on my 1965 Splitscreen !! :p

Sounds more like moisture frozen on the disc mixed with rust from brake dust.

Happens every time I pull away from a cold morning on all 4 vehicles.

Ok cheers guys, I'm not on my own then.
Didn't really want to leave the handbrake off, didn't really expect it when you pay all that money for a van :mad:

Same as when you wash the van and find the rear pads give a clunk as you pull away.

my beemer was a buggar for that......occasionally had to give it a bootful to get it to release. Occasionally, I gently pull the handbrake on while I'm driving, to clean the disc off.

Yep, does it all the time at the mo. The salt on the roads just adds to the rusting up of the disc's.

Mine does this every morning but today was a lot worse as I hadn't used the van for a few days. Got to the end of my road and the brakes barely worked I had to stamp on them!! Bit dissapointed that they rust over so quickly

Hadn't used my van since last Sunday come to use it today put it in reverse it never moved ,bit of accelerator big clunk and brakes released , never had a vehicle do this before on so short a park up

Welcome all to the world of VW! Every VW I have owned has done this and T6 has done it every morning and night this week due to damp weather. I had a Tiguan that I took back for it and VWactually took brakes off and cleaned them all and it still did it. It's just because of the moisture and low temp. Won't do it in warmer weather.

Most cars do it. I have owned 7 Honda's. 5 Preludes and 2 Civics. All did/do it and no forum member ever brought it up. That's how normal it is.

Doesn't strike me as unusual......like I said, my 3 series was a buggar for it. The rear discs get next to no use the way I drive so that's why I (gently) pull the handbrake on occasionally when going down hills just to clean the discs off.

Mine does it if I don't use it over the weekend so I just pull it one click and put it in gear.

Back