Rear Bench Seat Weight?

Morg

Hi, am looking to p/x to a new kombi but it has the 3 seater rear bench, i've always had the 2+1 split & found i could handle getting them in & out by myself. Does anyone know if the 3 seater can be handled by one person? Ta

No - they are f heavy!!

You could buy individual shuttle seats that would use the middle set of brackets for the centre seat and just the outer ones to fit, then sell the bench. Prob cost 200-300 if DIY fitting. Shuttle seats seem to have their own set of fabrics so may not match.

Or get a 2/1 seat albeit you will have 2 redundant brackets in the floor (or some holes)

Hi, am looking to p/x to a new kombi but it has the 3 seater rear bench, i've always had the 2+1 split & found i could handle getting them in & out by myself. Does anyone know if the 3 seater can be handled by one person? Ta
Yes I handle them ok.
Theres a knack and I'd estimate 40 to 45kg.
Biggest issue is clicking them back in on your own.

They're not only heavy, they're an awkward shape, I've also taken mine out and refitted them several times on my own when I've needed the space, but it's not something I'd do if there is an easier alternative. You won't want to do it very often.
I'm not even sure how VW managed to make them so heavy!

Good to hear that a couple of you managed! that's all i need to know, if someone else can do it..then i can do it & it won't be very often. Have found lots of blankets & a couple of straps really helped handling the 2 seater, will do the same with the 3 seater...cheers

I also can do mine on my own but it takes a little thought.

Its a case of getting unclipped from the floor and shuffling it onto a piece of hardboard which allows me to slide it towards the door.
I then rotate it slightly so fabric of the seat is downward and finally slide it carefully out and onto another piece of hardboard on the floor.

I also can do mine on my own but it takes a little thought.

Its a case of getting unclipped from the floor and shuffling it onto a piece of hardboard which allows me to slide it towards the door.
I then rotate it slightly so fabric of the seat is downward and finally slide it carefully out and onto another piece of hardboard on the floor.
Hi
I’ve done it before
But watch your back!
Seriously it’s quite heavy and awkward on your own

I remove mine, tip it up and release the retaining clip, rock onto a small piece of ply then slide it to the floor and lift it out. Apart from the weight, awkwardness there are lots of sharp edges.
Oh and it helps if you are 6'4" with arms like a orangutan!

They are awkward but once you figure out what process works for you it’s doable.

I’ve removed and installed mine more times than a care to admit.... on my own. Yes it’s a pain but I manage alright.

With the seat folded flat, Put the front feet in 1st, they almost set themselves into position using its own weight, then firmly slam the seat down until the rear feet locate.
The hardest thing is getting the seat into the van and into the right position in the 1st place. Helps if you have twin sliders as another person can assist from the other door.

On a single slide, if you keep the floor clean you can slide it in on the front edge of the seat and drop the locater hooks into the hold down points, after this it's easy as described. It's getting the seat to the door and part in that takes the strength

Back