Led spotlights either blue or not responding at all - advise on it?

ArtD

recently installed 8x 2W 12V LED spotlights (RGB) in my van. They were supplied with a UK plug for 240V (output 12v 2A), but they switch to 12.4V ultimately (I double-checked this). Everything works fine when connected to a 240V socket, but when I connect them through the van's fuse box, which supplies 13.4V, the LEDs don't work at all. I've confirmed that there's 13.4V in the cable leading to the LEDs, but they remain unresponsive.

Could it be that these LEDs require an exact voltage to switch on properly?

As an alternative test, I tried regular white LEDs with a touch switch for on/off, and they worked without any issues.

The LEDs can be controlled either by an app or a remote with a sensor attached to the LEDs. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do I need additonal regulator in the line? I bought one 12v stable but doesn't make any difference at all so wonder whether it needs 12.4v exatlly? If so any advise on it? thx

Last edited:
Overdriven LEDs will get a much reduced life, annoying if you have them installed.

The gold plated way of dealing with that is to install a small DC-DC supply to keep them at 12v, a simpler way is don't run them at 100% if they have a dimmer function, that way average current and heat will be lower but the light output won't be noticeably different.

Back