Rattle that airbag

Dieseldonkey

150 DSG Shuttle Conversion
VIP Member
T6 Legend
During a 1000 mile trip over the weekend my steering wheel started playing God Save the Queen, with an irritating rattle. So after my last lengthy warranty claim issue with VW (aircon compressor), in an effort to speed things up, I discovered if I unclipped the drivers airbag from it's lugs, the rattle stopped. Pop it back in place and rattle starts again. Think something in the airbag unit itself is loose so expect it's a replacement job. Dealer trip number 7 coming up tomorrow. Here we go again.

I had the same rattle. I described it as a 'chirrup'. The clips were adjusted at first, but the noise came back. I ended up having a new airbag and wheel assembly fitted under warranty.

Dropped off the van at dealers for drivers rattling airbag to get swapped and spoke to receptionist (Nice Lady).

Nice Lady:- We'll give you a phone when it's ready.
Mr Donkey:- Is it not just a 10 minute job?
Nice Lady:- No about an hour and a half.
Mr Donkey:- Eh? The airbag just unclips out and unplugs.

Nice lady goes off behind the scenes. In 2 minutes she returns, stating:-
Technician said an hour and a half. It needs coding too. Help yourself to coffee and biscuits.

Mr Donkey:- Mhhmmm. I'll go for a walk then.

So Donkey walks round his meadow a few times and while drinking some coffee from his trough, his phone rings.....It's Nice Lady.

Nice Lady:- Hello Mr Donkey. We need to replace your airbag wiring loom. Part will be in tomorrow.
Crabbit Donkey:- WHAT!!!
Nice lady:- Can we give you a Passat overnight? Do you have drivers licence on you?

Donkey returns to dealer.

Donkey :- Are you pulling donkeys plonker?
Eeeee awwww! Is this a dealer warranty claim scam?
Nice Lady:- Certainly not. (Handing Passat keys over). Can you work a DSG gearbox?

Im thinking Donkeys not the only donkey and someone's broken the connector while unplugging my airbag!

Back