RAC experience

Andy Power

T6 Pro
A warning to anyone thinking about joining the RAC
I got stuck in some mud last week after a gig and needed to call the RAC as I am a member. I had to wait FOUR hours for someone to come along. As soon as the guy arrived he demanded £45 as the said getting stuck in mud was my fault, they never mentioned this on the phone. I didn't have £45 on me so he said he couldn't help me then and proceeded to go..... I managed to borrow £45 from a guy and thus the RAC pulled me out of the mud.
Be aware this could have been your Mum/Wife/Daughter they were willing to walk away from.
I complained to them via phone call and their Facebook page - they removed my complaint from their facebook and blocked me so I could not put any negative comments. They also said they would listen to the recordings of my telephone calls pending a refund - the next day they emailed me and said they were unable to find the recordings, and so no refund would be given, they then blocked me so I was unable to reply or appeal.

Be aware of what the RAC are really like folks - do not join them - go elsewhere. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Please share this post.

A friend of my wife was driving her and her 14 year old son home from a sailing event at Rutland Water to Gloucestershire when she broke down a couple of miles into her journey. She was an RAC member. They came out and towed her to a Services, where they left her and her son. As they could not fix the vehicle and needed a different tow/ flatbed to complete the journey due to the distance. Despite her husband keep phoning RAC from home (looking after the other kids - no other vehicle) trying to find out what was happening, RAC kept fobbing him off. They arrived home 23 hours after having broken down, having been left at the Services all night, no where to sleep, freezing cold January night (I think it was about -4) and the Services wasn’t 24 hour so basically stuck in the van unable to turn the engine on to keep warm from the heater.
A woman and a 14 year old child. Thought that made the priority category?

What have RAC done wrong? You went off roading, got stuck in the mud and expected your breakdown company to pull you out. They said no as you didn't have a mechanical breakdown but could help you for a fee. It's a shame they didn't mention it on the phone when you rang them but not exactly a scam

I'm not in the RAC though my wife uses Green Flag with here insurance policy. I would have expected them to cover a rescue like that if you are paying to be in the RAC but then there seem to be all types of cover you buy on it now. You could always write a letter to them complaining, think they have to reply to that. As for the 45 quid I bet that went straight in the guys pocket. BTW was their no famer with a 4x4 or tractor nearby who could have helped, think I would rather have given them the 45 notes that the RAC

Another RAC scam > My partner damaged her NSF wheel / tyre on a high kerb while driving. She rang up for assistance and was advised. Computer says NO as it's an accident not a breakdown. If you have to use these thieves then beware of the small print before you call them and explain your predicament.

The RAC has becom a rip off since it was taken over by private equity.

I think that the OP’s issue is with the way he has been managed.
Poor comms, deleting account etc.

I left the RAC when I found that Autonmagazine rated them so badly and their recommendation was GEM, at something like a third of the price with brilliant customer service.

So have a nose around the web, and switch to a better and recommended outfit., they rely on good old fashioned customers loyalty, like mine was at the time.

Switch, It’ll save you quids.

So who is the best breakdown to get, I have never been impressed with the RAC since my dad was a member

I use green flag and have personal cover for myself and wife (it’s cheaper than vehicle cover) so covers us for any vehicle we are driving or a passenger in.
the thing I like about green flag is the fact they use independent local garages so not only are you funding local business but if you have a questionable recovery they are still willing to help, I guess no recovery = no pay and even after a crash twenty quid to the driver when he turned up no questions asked ;)

Google is your friend
I just googled best breakdown recovery and the first hit, after the adverts, was this auto express review
LINKY

It seems that GEM comes out on top again, they use local independents too.

One problem with the RAC is that they contract out jobs to local garages, unaware of their other commitments.
These same garages are continuously accepting contract work from other agencies as well as the RAC,
and consequently the RAC has no clue how busy these people are or the likelihood of the contractor
meeting the promised RAC target time. A while back, we were stranded late one night, called the RAC and after 2 hours
called again to chase it up. We were told that they had changed shifts and my call had not been passed on
Finally after about 5 hours of waiting and calling, a local garage guy turned up in a recovery truck - he showed
me his jobsheet, he'd been working flat out all night, job after job, RAC, Red Rovers, Green Flag....
Now, my bank account gives me full AA cover, the only time I've needed them was when I stupidly put petrol
in the van and they were there right away!
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
The AA relayed me from Lake District to Essex, 4 trucks, 9 hours later me, brother and friend and the sailing boat were home.
Was glad I had paid for the extra cover

VW use AA and if your van is under 3 years old it should have cover with it by Volkswagen .

Depending on where you are and time of day you get either a VW guy or an AA patrol

Back