Problems in paradise

A couple of small points.
1. Do you have legal cover / legal advice provision on your home insurance?
2. Did you pay any part of this on your credit card?

if yes to either of the above then it may open up avenues for you - in terms of advice and/or legal support.

Speed is of the essence and at the very least prepare a letter detailing your issues in full, with necessary evidence and your preferred solution. make sure you date it and send it recorded delivery, also send it via email - these would be sent to the seller. At least then the issue is fully logged and dated. This may help you later on.

Then prepare a second letter, to warrentywise, and only from the warranty perspective and do the same thing. Keep each letter completely separate and at least you will have two avenues to explore. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

good luck to you!

Afternoon everyone and thanks for the new opinions.

Incase it helps anyone else a small update...
Citizens advice were brilliant in confirming what many people on here have said. The responsibility lies with the original dealer within 6 months. They also confirmed that any Warrantywise cover does not absolve the CRA 2015 duty of the original dealer.
My situation is dragging on, but i'm 3 months in, so have some time left to wrangle.

@Teesix - something you said caught my eye.
"For the unscrupulous seller it's very easy to reset fault code warnings but they have a tendency to pop back up a few days/weeks/months later"
Will there be any history of this within 'the computer' of the van?
I remember the original dealer talking about having 'remapped' the engine - could that be connected?
Go easy on my novice-ness if i'm way off!! :)

Great forum, great support - thanks

Ps.

For my particular case, i have the following error codes which are the problem with my van. Incase it helps anyone.

P009000 Fuel pressure regulator A control circuit open
P157000 Engine control module disabled
P008800 Fuel rail system pressure too high
P229500 Fuel pressure regulator B control circuit
P009100 Fuel pressure regulator A control circuit

Last edited:

if yes to either of the above then it may open up avenues for you - in terms of advice and/or legal support.

Speed is of the essence and at the very least prepare a letter detailing your issues in full, with necessary evidence and your preferred solution. make sure you date it and send it recorded delivery, also send it via email - these would be sent to the seller. At least then the issue is fully logged and dated. This may help you later on.

Then prepare a second letter, to warrentywise, and only from the warranty perspective and do the same thing. Keep each letter completely separate and at least you will have two avenues to explore. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

good luck to you!
@czmate1999 - just checked...
No to 1 & 2 sadly

However, i am in discussion with the original dealer, so it is civil for now. There is an email chain and every call I make I summarise back in the same email chain so there is a record.
I'll keep this thread updated incase anyone else can benefit in the future.
thanks

Afternoon everyone and thanks for the new opinions.

Incase it helps anyone else a small update...
Citizens advice were brilliant in confirming what many people on here have said. The responsibility lies with the original dealer within 6 months. They also confirmed that any Warrantywise cover does not absolve the CRA 2015 duty of the original dealer.
My situation is dragging on, but i'm 3 months in, so have some time left to wrangle.

@Teesix - something you said caught my eye.
"For the unscrupulous seller it's very easy to reset fault code warnings but they have a tendency to pop back up a few days/weeks/months later"
Will there be any history of this within 'the computer' of the van?
I remember the original dealer talking about having 'remapped' the engine - could that be connected?
Go easy on my novice-ness if i'm way off!! :)

Great forum, great support - thanks

Ps.

For my particular case, i have the following error codes which are the problem with my van. Incase it helps anyone.

P009000 Fuel pressure regulator A control circuit open
P157000 Engine control module disabled
P008800 Fuel rail system pressure too high
P229500 Fuel pressure regulator B control circuit
P009100 Fuel pressure regulator A control circuit
I went down this same path with a Golf R, I Googled the number plate and was able to speak to the previous owners and find out a bit more about the history. It may not significantly change your legal position but if they confirm that these issues are historic it makes a stronger moral csse and everything helps if you need to go legal.
Also, consider an engineer's inspection. They will be able give an expert opinion to support your case that your faults meet one of the tests for rejection, perhaps even that the vehicle is dangerous, looking at the faults above.

I have no knowledge of VW engines beyond what I have read on the Forum, but two things jumped out at me.

84,000 miles.
And then remapped.

Is that not asking for trouble?

I have no knowledge of VW engines beyond what I have read on the Forum, but two things jumped out at me.

84,000 miles.
And then remapped.

Is that not asking for trouble?
Morning @CAB - Can you illustrate a little further... not sure how the 84k miles is connected to the remapping being trouble??

on this, point 2.
i bought from a dealer who didnt have a card machine, so deposit and full payment were through bank transfer.
importantly, this removes assistance from your finance company, and from your credit company, if you could have used either of those two. i believe the converter not offering card machines to be a trick, that reduces their exposure to unhappy customers going to the credit card company and asking for help resolving issues.

on this, point 2.
i bought from a dealer who didnt have a card machine, so deposit and full payment were through bank transfer.
importantly, this removes assistance from your finance company, and from your credit company, if you could have used either of those two. i believe the converter not offering card machines to be a trick, that reduces their exposure to unhappy customers going to the credit card company and asking for help resolving issues.
Hardly a trick, they haven’t broken the law by not taking card payments.
It’s up to the consumer to make an assessment of the risk in any transaction. I’m not supporting the banks or rogue traders just pointing out that we all have responsibilities.

Think he means it’s a high mileage and if it has been remapped then the engine may have been thrashed a bit.
Basically that.

It's done 84,000 miles with the original map.

Then it's been remapped to develop more power.

As I said, I have no expertise, but that sounds to me like a recipe for disaster.

Anyway, feel free to ignore me, like I said I have no experience in this area, it's just what struck me, personally I would not have taken an old van and remapped it.

Basically that.

It's done 84,000 miles with the original map.

Then it's been remapped to develop more power.

As I said, I have no expertise, but that sounds to me like a recipe for disaster.

Anyway, feel free to ignore me, like I said I have no experience in this area, it's just what struck me, personally I would not have taken an old van and remapped it.
By modern standards, I don't think 84k is particularly high mileage and I believe that most of the VW2.0 diesel engines are basically the same with different maps, until you get to the top of the range and you may have an extra turbo and other goodies. So if you have just stepped from one of the lower outputs to one or two above you should be okay.
I understand that the main issue can be on the very low power vans, which is that the 5 speed gearbox does not handle higher power outputs well, and so would probably be the failure point if you were greedy with the map and then drove it hard. If you have the 6 speed then I believe that this is also the same through the power range.
I am not a VW technician though so normal caveats on the above info!

Reactions: CAB
Back