Hydraulic Clutch Pedal has dropped [Resolved]

David Kirtley

Can anyone help please
Tried to start my van this morning a van clutch pedal had no resistance and would not spring back and is stuck in gear would anyone have any ideas thanks Dave.

It's a hydraulic clutch so I'd say it's either the return spring in the pedal gone/dislodged or a failure in the hydraulic line.
Can you see any leaks/drips under the van ?
brakepedal.jpg

clutch.jpg

Not been outside to check but I think the clutch takes its fluid from the brake fluid reservoir, have you checked the levels in that?

Check the brake fluid reservoir with a bright torch.
Inside is divided into three With common level to a point to safeguard a leak in left/right brake circuit or clutch circuit depleting all the fluid. If the clutch chamber is empty top it up with new fluid ideally from a sealed container. Pull the pedal back up with your hand and try pumping it, you may get a pedal back without needing to bleed it unless it has a very bad leak which could get you out of trouble in a pinch until it can be repaired.
If no loss of fluid( look very carefully) you may have rolled seals in the master or slave cylinder, air in the system due to leak or clutch plate seized on the flywheel.

Afternoon all,

Looks like i have a similar issue to this, got in the van today, touched the clutch pedal and it sprung to the floor, was having trouble seeing in the reservoir even with a torch but as the van was on a hill - nose down and there was only a little fluid in the spout beneath the lid i'm assuming I've managed to get air in the system.

Does anyone have a diagram that would show where the clutch can be bled from?

If this is not a fix on the driveway type of situation do any of you have an idea of what i'm going to be in for repair wise?

Have now got the same problem, T32 lwb clutch pedal sometimes does not return ,if you pull it back up with your foot it works fine, fluid levels all good and clutch operating as normal, but getting more frequent
any one got any ideas before expensive vw repair

First thing to do is change/bleed the hydraulic fluid that is in the clutch system, might as well bleed the new fluid through the brake system at the same time seeing as you're in there.
If the issue persists after fluid change and bleed, you are looking at (probably) a leaking slave cylinder, which means you will need an exxpert, and budget for a change of flywheel and clutch plates as well as a slave cylinder as you may as well change them while you have everything apart in order to change the slave cylinder.

My t6 has decided to do the same today.
Was just about to take the family to a waterpark to try out our new sup and kayak... Looks like I won't be able to book the van in anywhere until Tues.

No drips (that I can see) or loss of fluid edit hmmm after shining a bright torch through the reservoir the fluid levels are only just above min mark, so could now be air in the system?

Anyone know where the bleed valve is for the clutch? Hoping its something a simpleton like me can do ;-)

Last edited:
Mine started like yours .Clutch fluid tank is inside the main tank and goes try about half way from high to low level.
filled mine and pumped the pedal to get air out. About 500 miles later it happened again but his time fluid underneath.
it needed new slave cylinder so had flywheel and clutch at the same time .
£1200 later all ok.mine had only done 67000 miles so not to good poor vw parts again.

Thank @Keeff for the reply, looks like I'm going to have to brace myself and prepare for a possible worst case scenario.

Was thinking the last thing I did was wash and wax the van. Wonder if something has been dislodged when spraying under the wheel arches with the pressure hose?

The fluid take off for the clutch is close to the top of the reservoir, double check your fluid level on a flat surface with a bright torch shining through the tank.

To bleed the clutch you need to shift the van into 4th gear. There is a white bleed nipple to the passenger side of the engine by the gearbox.

You can try and bleed it with the clutch pedal or use a pressure bleed system to push the fluid and air through the system.

I bled the system twice on my van however suspect it may have been done once or twice prior to my ownership.

In the end I used a local independent garage and had to get the slave cylinder, clutch and dual mass flywheel replaced.

I dont get why bleeding the clutch isn’t part of the same process as a brake fluid change?? If old fluid is left in the compartment for the clutch in the reservoir then surely this will contaminate the brake fluid? Also, flushing the clutch master cylinder / operating cylinder will help protect the seals by clearing out debris?

Just my 0.02p worth.

Ian

Luckily for me (and my wallet) it was the Master Cylinder that failed!
They bleed the clutch as part of the process. :thumbsup:

Same has just happened to me - got in to start the van and the clutch pedal flicked to the floor. Moves back into position easily enough. No leaks under van as far as I can see (although gravel driveway makes that tough to spot). I’m going to top up with dot4 brake and clutch fluid from Halfords and then try pumping the pedal. Then I might have a go at bleeding it but not sure if it’s within my capabilities. Then I guess it’s aa home start unless any of you guys can help!?!?

Bleeding the system can be done one of two ways.
1 - requires 2 people, shift van into 4th gear and locate the white square bleed nipple on top of the gear box. Open and top up the brake / clutch reservoir Person 1 presses the clutch pedal, person 2 opens (unscrews bleed nipple 1/4 to 1/2 a turn) then tightens it back up. Person 1 releases the clutch pedal (they may need to pull it back up) then repeat the process a bunch more times untill the clutch feels normal remembering to top up the reservoir after every 5 times.

2 - requires a pressure bleed kit. Top up brake and clutch reservoir, attach pressure bleeder in place of reservoir cap and apply pressure on the system. Check clutch pedal is up, Shift the van into 4th gear and loosen bleed nipple on top of gear box and wait for all the air and bubbles to come out and then tighten the bleed nipple and you should be good to go.

Bleeding the system can be done one of two ways.
1 - requires 2 people, shift van into 4th gear and locate the white square bleed nipple on top of the gear box. Open and top up the brake / clutch reservoir Person 1 presses the clutch pedal, person 2 opens (unscrews bleed nipple 1/4 to 1/2 a turn) then tightens it back up. Person 1 releases the clutch pedal (they may need to pull it back up) then repeat the process a bunch more times untill the clutch feels normal remembering to top up the reservoir after every 5 times.

2 - requires a pressure bleed kit. Top up brake and clutch reservoir, attach pressure bleeder in place of reservoir cap and apply pressure on the system. Check clutch pedal is up, Shift the van into 4th gear and loosen bleed nipple on top of gear box and wait for all the air and bubbles to come out and then tighten the bleed nipple and you should be good to go.
Why does the van need to be in 4th gear?

Back